V6 VVTI Lifter Noise and Starter issue

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 AT
Club VHF Licence: X298

V6 VVTI Lifter Noise and Starter issue

Post by Oosie101 »

Hi guys,

I have taken my trusted V6 Hilux to a mechanic to assist me with reparing/servicing my starter as it has started giving me some hassles the last couple of weeks. When I opened the bonnet while he was looking at the engine he asked about a lifter noise on the left bank of the engine. There has always been a slight tick tick tick noise and as far as I can tell this is quite normal. (I did some research on the net and found most guys to believe this is normal)

Now I am not sure if the noise is louder JUST BECAUSE he asked me about it today, and if it is actually louder than usual. Does anybody have some advice?
I am going to do some dune driving in June and would like to know if this is something I need to attend to before we leave.

Thanks!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: V6 VVTI Lifter Noise and Starter issue

Post by Mr_B »

The V6 is not the quietest engine, that's for sure. In my experience the lifters are a bit noisy, but the main culprit are the injectors combined with tinny exhaust manifolds.

The exhaust manifolds allow alot of combustion noise to bounce around in the engine bay! I've heard that Toyota made some mods to the exhaust mani on 2010+ models, so this noise isn't as noticeable. I've also been told that replacing the OEM exhaust manifolds with Brospeed parts helps, but I have yet to see a V6 fitted with Brospeed mani's.

2 other things to look at:

There is a vacuum switch valve on the left side of the engine, secured to the plastic intake manifold with one bolt. This valve also makes a loud tick tick noise, which is very evident with the bonnet open. Your mech might just be hearing this valve ticking. I put a rubber wash between the valve housing and intake to reduce the transmitted resonance.

Secondly, if alot of engine bay noise can be heard in the cabin, take a look at the rubber boot seal at the end of the steering wheel column. This boot tends to perish prematurely due to the close proximity of one of the catalytic converters. I replaced mine with a universal CV boot, which was a fraction of the price of the OEM boot seal.

Hope this helps!
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 AT
Club VHF Licence: X298

Post by Oosie101 »

Thanks Mr_B! I also did not think it was something serious. The mech kept going on about the oil starvation and that sound indicates that the oil pickup is blocked. Things I know very little about, but I do know my Hilux, and it has always had that sound. Luckily no noise in the cabin, only noticeable when the bonnet is open.

On another note, the starter.... I am having some issues with this. The mech says he cannot recon the starter as it is a gear reduction starter and you dont get parts for it... I have heard that some forum members have had their starters repaired though... Anybody have a contact in Jhb or Pta who can recon this starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Wat maak jou starter? Swaai hy die enjin stadig? Die ghries in die ratjies in die starter is waarskynlik droog. Ek het dit op my D4D gevind. Dit is maklik om die starter te strip en die ratte in petrol te was en met nuwe ghries te pak. Dan is hy weer 100%. Na 8 jaar en 250000 kilos was daar nog 60% van die borseltjies oor.

Return to “The Workshop”