Sludge buildup in engine, what now?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
zoeper
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Rawsonville
Vehicle: 96 SFA Hilux

Sludge buildup in engine, what now?

Post by zoeper »

Hi Guys,

I serviced my Toy this weekend and got the fright of my life when I took the tappit cover off to adjust valve clearances.
Bakkie is a 1996 SFA DC Raider with 22R 2.4 petrol engine, 205 000Km on the clock.

See what you think of this and where do I go from here?
If you wanted to say "do not add engine flush", too late! did that last weekend before I changed the oil and filter. That might be the reason for the cleaner spots seen in places. I bought the bakkie last year, so this is the first service. I am now running Rimula X in it.
I hit the tappit cover with degreaser and the high pressure cleaner, but that stuff is not budging.
Your advice/ opinions much apreciated.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Sludge buildup in engine, what now?

Post by ChrisF »

looks like the previous owner used Castrol GTX ....

Would love to hear HOPPY's advise for cleaning this baby.

The problem with cleaning it is that that sludge MUST go somewhere ... either blocking small oil passages, or blocking the filter .... cleaning it out without stuffing up a few bearings may well be difficult ...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The problem is not the sludge that you can see, but rather that thats accumulated in all the oil channels, oil filter and pump. I'd recommend not using an engine flush first in this case. Start by draining the oil overnight(engine oil should be hot before draining), then(following day) remove the sump and make sure the oil pump is not clogged by inspecting the course metal filter, replace the oil filter as it could also be close to clogged. If the pump is clogged remove if and clean properly(rinse in petrol) and clean the sump. Re-assemble and re-fill the engine with a good diesel oil like Shell Rimula R4. Run the engine with this oil for say 500km and repeat(replacing oil filter and oil). Diesel oils contain a high concentration of detergents that will break down the sludge bit by bit! After that(1000km) take off the rocker cover and inspect. If there's no/little improvement you may have to consider using a good quality engine flush or even tearing down the engine and rebuilding as a last resort!

That's what I would do... mech gurus like Allan and Francois may have even better advise!
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 96' Hilux Raider 2.4 4x4 SC, 12' Mitsubishi PJS 3.2 4x4

Post by raider »

That looks really bad. The previous owner must of never serviced the vehicle. That's past the sludge stage and looks like it has formed a tar like substance. I've watched videos on oil tests and oil only does that when subjected to extreme heat or extremely long duration of time without change. Perhaps the previous owner kept using the wrong spec oil or added additives that had negative effects.
vanthev8man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: wellington
Vehicle: 81 hilux 350,80 vx landcruiser,650 bombardier.

Post by vanthev8man »

that is tipical GTX colestrorol!

I would say - strip, chemical clean and assemble with new seals,gaskets, ring and bearings?
hilux sfa -the only real 4x4!
zoeper
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by zoeper »

Thank you for the replies guys, I can well imagine that damage have been suffered by now.
The bakkie is really sluggish and thirsty compared to what I am used to and I have never owned a petrol vehicle before this one.
What are we looking at $$ wise talking A: parts, and B: Labour should I have it done at a reputable mechanic?
If I contemplate going the strip, clean and replacement of parts route, do I stand to lose anything if I were to try and clean it with the Rimula X route (What I have in now) first? Can the true state of the engine be determined as it stands to see if the rebuild is justified/ necessary or if just a good cleaning will do?
I was not planning on ripping it's heart out any time soon, but hell, are you ever?
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo Pieter en almal
Ek ry al 35 jaar en die volgende voertuie wat ek en my vrou gehad het is; 3 x Beetles, 2 x Opel Kadet, 3 Monza, Hilux 1984 4x4 wat ek 20 jaar gehad het sonder dat ek die enjin ooit oopgemaak het, die huidege 2004 2.7, 250-400-650 DR Suzuki en 1000GS en 1100 GSX en dan ook 1100 GPZ Kawasaki, huidiglik dan ook 400DRZ en DR 800. Ek het by my pa geleer om net Castrol te gebruik en nog nooit het ek daardie probleme gesien of beleef wat Pieter nou het. Wat ek wil sê is dat my broer het 'n Fortuner gehad het wat gerook het en hy het toe nogal 'n Wynn "additives" ingegooi en dit was seker nie eers ses maande, toe pak sy Fortuner se enjin op en dit lyk net soos wat op jou bakkie is. Omtrent jaar later gooi hy ook in iemand anders se kar wat gerook het weer Wynn "addittives" en ook nie lank daarna pak daardie kar op. So uit my ondervining is dit die "additives wat die skade maak en nie CASTROL nie.
Ek stem saam met Bretton, doen jou enjin heeltemal oor, kortpad gaan jou net later meer geld kos.
Sterkte daarmee.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

While it is still running, keep going.

Maybe change the oil every 2/3000km for a 10/20000km and have a look?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You could also add some diesel to the oil for the last couple of hundred kilos before changing the oil, much as you would do if using an engine flush. It will thin the oil down but will help to break down that gunk - adding roughly a pint shouldn't cause any problems / undue wear if you don't ride it hard.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I also think that is due to driving the vehicle for very long intervals without changing the oil. I think to start re-doing the engine if it is not using oil etc. is a little premature. I would also try the diesel trick and see what happens. I would also remove the sump and see what it looks like in there.
zoeper
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by zoeper »

Thank you all for the replies. I am going to run it like this with rimula x for a couple thou kilo's and compare rockers with pics taken. If there is an improvement, i will keep going. If not I will think of plan b. Best weekend to all!
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

Stem saam hennie. Gebruik ook al jaaaare castrol en nog nooit so iets ervaar nie.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Ek kan ook nie byt aan die storie dat Castrol olie die sludge veroorsaak nie. Ek het Castrol GTX olie van 1975 in al my voertuie gebruik en nie een van hulle het olie sludge probleme gehad nie.

Ek het nou onlangs maar eers oorgeskakel na Shell Helix toe -nie dat Castrol my enige moeilikheid gegee het nie.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Self vir jare GTX gebruik.

'n Vriend was n mechanic, en na n paar hart aanvalle kon hy nie meer permanente werk kry nie .... werk toe van die huis af. Ek het n paar enjins saam met hom oorgedoen (ek het net tools aangegee). Sodra daai sump drop kon jy SIEN as die man GTX gebruik het !!

nooit die tipe aanpaksel bo-op die cams gesien nie. Maar gereeld die "GTX cholesterol" onder in die engin gesien.
vanthev8man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by vanthev8man »

ChrisF wrote:Self vir jare GTX gebruik.

'n Vriend was n mechanic, en na n paar hart aanvalle kon hy nie meer permanente werk kry nie .... werk toe van die huis af. Ek het n paar enjins saam met hom oorgedoen (ek het net tools aangegee). Sodra daai sump drop kon jy SIEN as die man GTX gebruik het !!

nooit die tipe aanpaksel bo-op die cams gesien nie. Maar gereeld die "GTX cholesterol" onder in die engin gesien.
presies!...waarom sal hulle nou skielik "anti cholesterol" olie adverteer? - hulle was die oorsaak daarvan!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

vanthev8man wrote:
ChrisF wrote:Self vir jare GTX gebruik.

presies!...waarom sal hulle nou skielik "anti cholesterol" olie adverteer? - hulle was die oorsaak daarvan!
kan dalk ook noem dat Castrol GTX was in die vroee 90's ontrek van die mark, toe High Milage bekend gestel is.

Taxis het geweier om oor te skakel, en Castrol moes die klandisie verloor of weer GTX terugbring .....
vanthev8man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by vanthev8man »

chris,
ek het ook gesien hoe Toyota n "stickertjie" op die 2E masjien se tappet cover geplak het in die laat 80s/ vroe 90s.
"ONLY USE CASTROL GTX IN THIS ENGINE"
weet nie wat Castrol en Toyota se liefdes verhouding was nie, MAAR kan jou verseker hierdie masjientjies het skaars 200k gehaal en dan gooi hy conrod! en as jy hom oopmaak is hy so vol sludge dat die oliepomp nie meer sy werk kon doen nie!

...praat maar gerus met die "ouer garde" engine herbouers?
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Some interesting reading

http://driving-tests.org/beginner-drive ... ne-sludge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-engine-sludge.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you looked at your cooling system?
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Dankie Quentin vir die artikels. Hier sien ons dit kan met enige kar en enige olie gebeur. CASTROL tops
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

vanthev8man wrote:chris,
ek het ook gesien hoe Toyota n "stickertjie" op die 2E masjien se tappet cover geplak het in die laat 80s/ vroe 90s.
"ONLY USE CASTROL GTX IN THIS ENGINE"
weet nie wat Castrol en Toyota se liefdes verhouding was nie, MAAR kan jou verseker hierdie masjientjies het skaars 200k gehaal en dan gooi hy conrod! en as jy hom oopmaak is hy so vol sludge dat die oliepomp nie meer sy werk kon doen nie!

...praat maar gerus met die "ouer garde" engine herbouers?
Ek weet Castrol het die anti-freeze vir Toyota "verpak" ....

Een dag per week het hulle n ander kleur middel ingegooi. PRESIES dieselfde botteltjie waarin die anti-freeze gekom het, net ander printing op dit.

so ja, dalk het die samewerking dieper geloop .... :siffler: :siffler:
vanthev8man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by vanthev8man »

haha chris,

dit lyk dan nou of die sous nie NET in die parlement loop nie?...
Wave
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Edenvale
Vehicle: Tuna 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by Wave »

I would keep driving it and change oil and GUD or OEM oil filter every 2000 kms, make sure you do some nice highway driving as often as possible to get everything lekker hot and hopefully losen up that gunk.
I would use Caltex Delo 400 as it seems to tops in the detergent area.
Also check you cooling system and flush and use genuine Toy coolant!
'09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 (M)
'14 VW Polo 1.2 TSI H/L (Swambo's)
'10 Conqueror Comfort
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Agree to run Shell Rimula had Isuzu diesel for years and every one was shocked when motor was striped how clean it was.And would only do oil changes every 5000km.Not a GTX fan.
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I would definitely remove the sump, clean it out and make sure that the oil pickup(Screen/pipe etc.) is completely clean.
4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London - Thorn Park
Vehicle: Touareg R5 TDi

Post by 4ePikanini »

pull the engine and sump

Leave it in bath full of diesel turning the engine by hand every few hours to work the oil pump - leave the diesel filter on.

Then let it drain for a day. Fill with fresh oil and fresh filter, run it for 200km. Drain the oil again and change the filter again.

Return to “The Workshop”