4wd system

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
gerritgrobler
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux d-4d 4x4 double cab Legend 40

4wd system

Post by gerritgrobler »

I have a 2010 Hilux d4d 4x4 auto Legend 40. When O engage high range 4wd and turn, the wheels jump as if the diff locks are engaged when they're not. The diff lock lights are off and the button is disengaged. Do I.have transfer case problems? I just bought this vehicle from Toyota a few months ago. Any help?
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Re: 4wd system

Post by jacques kotze »

Hi Gerrit,

Hy sal so maak al is die Diff Lock nie aan nie, as hy in 4H is en veral op harde grond maak hy so. Die beste is om nie op harde terrein in 4H te skerp te draai nie.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: 4wd system

Post by ChrisF »

There are actually THREE diffs to lock in a 4x4 drive train :
- front wheels - on the Hilux these dont have a standard diff lock, thus the wheel with the least amount of traction will slip first .... As Jacques pointed out - on a solid surface BOTH will grip and thus "drive train wind up" occurs, until it starts hopping to unwind.

- Rear wheels - later model Hulux's have a rear diff lock, only to be used at low speeds and in a straight line, again to avoid "wind up" of the drive train. Even with the rear diff lock OFF the same wind up as with the front wheels may occur when driving on hard surfaces.

Centre diff - I believe the transfer case on the Hilux act as a centre diff lock, on some other 4x4's the centre diff may not act as diff lock. Worth noting this is why the front and rear tires should have a similar diameter (wear rate) to prevent wind up of the drive train.

Some 4x4's actually have a manually activated diff lock at each of these three diffs - thus the driver gets to choose the most appropriate settings for the terrain. On the flip side, the modern soft roaders dont use diff locks, but rather measure individual wheel slip, then use the braking system to stop the wheels with limited tracction ,thus ensuring those wheels on good terrain gets the power.

short answer - as Jacques said - dont use the 4x4 system on solid terrain.

Return to “The Workshop”