Sfa hilux 4x4 diff shim plates

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: 1989 Hilux dc 4x4 lexus

Sfa hilux 4x4 diff shim plates

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

Hi all. Ive inspected my front diff the other day and noticed where the steering arm bolts ontop of the diff theres a gap. Mate told me there must be shim plates in there. If true where can i get. And would it have created any damage till now?
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Sfa hilux 4x4 diff shim plates

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi JP and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

That's not the diff, it's the knuckle housing. There are indeed shims, but they're inside on the "king pin" cone bearings and I doubt that there would have been any damage unless the knuckle has play. I see that the shaft seal on the inside is leaking diff oil into the knuckle grease, thinning it and causing it to weep out.

I would suggest taking it to Dylan (AM Racing here on the forum) at Alex motors in the old Cambridge railway goods sheds - his workshop is there, and let him sort it all out for you in one hit. If you want to do that I can PM or e-mail you his contact details. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

Hi mud dog. Thanks for the reply. Sure id appreciate his contact details. Who would you suggest to dyno the lexus running spitronics. As you can smell shes over fueling. Many thanx

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Dylan does a lot of Lexus conversions and has his own dyno (a lot of guys bring their track cars to him for dyno) he's very clued up and also a fan of Spitronics. Again, everything under one roof but there's one downfall - he's VERY busy, so you have to make arrangements and make sure that he's got everything he needs pre ordered and ready for you if you want it back same day or day after (the axle might take a bit longer).

(I'm going to e-mail his details to you and CC him into the mail.) :winkx:

Next - we will be expecting you to join us on an outing here and there. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Those shims are important, as they set the pre-load on the steering knuckle bearings.
Less shims = more pre-load, more shims = less pre-load
Yours seem to be missing completely, which means if your tighten up the 4 nuts on the top the pre-load
on the bearing will be to high, which can cause your steering knuckle movement to be very stiff and
damage the bearing or seize up the steering.
The shims come in thicknesses from 0.1mm to 1mm and you stack them up until you get the correct drag
after tightening the 4 nuts when moving the steering knuckle forward and backward.

You can get the shims from Toyota, or make your own out of shim stock.

Here is a drawing I made
Hilux SFA steering knuckle shim.pdf
(70.01 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Have a look here for a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0z-GZLq0mM
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

Thanx for the info.
Long story short. Went to toyota, ordered the seals and packing. Waited 3 days. Paid R3500 for the 2 knuckle gaskets with the felt and also the extra set with the shim plates. Bearings got from border bearings in cambridge. Only R1200. Stripped the driver wheel, was amazed how the wheel was floating . It had so much play. Looked like a beach buggy's rear wheel. Anyways.... the top small bearing was shot. Messy job... cleant everything nicely, refitted all the parts. Done also the brake caliper seals and brake pads. So cost me almost 6k to do it. But now im happy for the next 20yrs

Return to “The Workshop”