You Drive Me Crazy !!!

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
branyster
Town: Leicester
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Surf 4Runner

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Hello,

I bought a Toyota Hilux Surf 4Runner 3.0 litre Automatic 2 weeks ago from Lytham St Annes and drove it home to Leicester. Half way home the car developed a terrible shaking from the front, the steering wheel was going crazy. I've had my MOT garage mechanic examine the car and he checked steering, ball joints, bearings, and suspension, all good. I then had the 2 x front wheels balanced. My mechanic has also done an Oil change on the engine and gearbox, he has also checked the Oil in both Axles which actually look New too. Engine pulls strong. But there is a Vibration when engaging the Auto box into the Drive position driving down the road. On Saturday after the wheel balance, I took the car out into the countryside, driving about 40 or 50 mph. The vibration from the front happened again. It felt like something was holding back the car. I am worried this is a Drive Shaft or Axle problem or worse the Auto box ???
Does anyone know what the problem is ?

I've owned a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 Automatic for 14 years and It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned and I've been driving since 1985. So know something serious is wrong with the SURF.

Please Help. :beg: I only bought this 4x4 due to a catastrophic engine failure on my BMW 520 Touring.

Thanks
Nick

Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 pm

I will next replace the universal joints in the drive shaft and check the center carrier bearing if it is fitted with one. Not that familiar with the Surf.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”

• Information