Toyota Hilux bump steer shake

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Toyota_v6
Town: Otjiwarongo
Vehicle: Toyota hilux

Toyota Hilux bump steer shake

Post by Toyota_v6 »

Good day Everyone

My hilux is driving me crazy.

I have a 2016 4.0 v6 hilux with just about 115k km on the clock. The bakkie drove absolutely great up till around 90k km when a steering shake/bump started. The shake is most prominent at low speeds and makes the steering wheel twitch back and forth, which is really uncomfortable and makes the lux feel loose at highway speeds.

The bakkie has been at the dealer more times than I can count over the last year. On the last visit the dealer changed out the entire suspension - shocks and springs, as well as the wheels and tires with that of a floor model just to eliminate those two components.

After no change they opted for a new steering rack complete with tie rods. This made no difference.

At this point I am just frustrated with the vehicle. The steering shake is really unbearable and makes my 1989 fj62 cruiser feel like a rolls royce in comparison.

I am hoping someone else has had this problem, and can help me troubleshoot further. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Re: Toyota Hilux bump steer shake

Post by JAMES399 »

I know just how frustrating this can be. I had the same problem with my '87 hilux. After doing almost everything you've done, it turned out that one of the engine mounts was broken and the motor shaking was jacking the entire truck around. This may not be the case for your ride, but worth checking.

- JAMES
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hi Victor,

I remember such an issue year ago, but can not remember what the cause was.

Have the propshafts been checked? Centre bearing?

I once had a strange shake on my Kz and could not pinpoint it. In the end the idiot(me) that replaced the propshaft had the centre bearing bolted to the wrong side of the bracket. Undid the bolts, turned the bearing 180 degrees and it was perfect after that.

Check that the sideshafts is 100% free and not turning with the wheel. Could be a bad cv joint.

Does the exhaust touch the body or chassis anywhere?

Has the tyre been checked to be round? I recently encountered an out of round tyre on a car and it took me ages to diagnose it properly.

Is all the tie rod ends and balljoints good?

Sometimes it is good to have an independent person look at the problem - a fresh pair of eyes might spot something.

If you are ever down in Okanhandja, go see Martin Pearson. I'm sure he will help you sort the problem.

Please update us when you found the problem?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Toyota_v6

Post by Toyota_v6 »

Thanks for the replies james and thabo.

Quick update additional info.

Engine mounts were also broken about a year ago, so were replaced under warranty.

Tie rods were replaced along with steering rack, so also eliminated that as a possible cause.

Eliminated the suspension and wheels and tires by swapping from a floor model hilux to test. Made no difference.

The steering bump/junk is definitely feedback from the tyres hitting rocks, corrugations etc. A hard jurk side to side. If you steer lightly from side to side when driving on uneven surfaces there seems to be some resistance in the steering. Almost a kickback or spongy feeling. Air in the system? Power steering pump underperform? I have no idea.

Anyway. Back to dealer tomorrow again to see if they can find anything.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

More than anything else mentioned, this sounds more like a tyre / wheel problem. Is one of the rims perhaps buckled / out of true? Are the front rims both seated properly?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Toyota_v6

Post by Toyota_v6 »

Mud Dog wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:00 pm More than anything else mentioned, this sounds more like a tyre / wheel problem. Is one of the rims perhaps buckled / out of true? Are the front rims both seated properly?
Honestly this also feels like a wheel or tire that is loose. Swapped out all 4 wheel and tyres to eliminate the possibility though….
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It could also be a warped brake disc. Not altogether uncommon. Happens if the disc is hot from heavy braking and then gets splashed with cold water. In such cases the warp is not readily seen by eye, but if it's there, the caliper which is static will force the steering to jerk back and fro.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”