2.7i Question

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
PapaDragon
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Camperdown
Vehicle: 99 Hilux 4x4 DC

2.7i Question

Post by PapaDragon »

Morning all

So I bought a 1999 4x4 DC 2.7i Hilux 2 months ago.
385k km on the clock, motor seems fine, no noise, smoke etc.
Van has branch, and freeflow front box, and I had freeflow rear box fitted a couple of weeks ago.

Generally happy with the ride, however went to the Berg on the weekend, and seems very underpowered
on the hills, eg. Lundy's Hill, is a long pull back towards PMB from the Umkomaas valley.
Had to change down to 3rd, and dropped speed down to about 70, IIRC..
Is this normal, or does it need attention?

If it's normal, is there anything, short of engine conversion, that I can do at a reasonable cost to improve it?

Thanks in advance!
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: 2.7i Question

Post by niclemaitre »

Sounds similar to mine, and yes it does lack some top end power. Try to keep the revs higher than 3200 rpm. If you drop below that, you'll struggle. I think the altitude affects it too.

The Vigo Hiluxes came with a VVTi version that performs better. I don't know if it's possible to add the VVTi to the 3RZ block (I presume its the same) but you'd need the ECU and harness too.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

That is normal and was made worse by removing or free flowing the very first box in the exhaust. That first box helps with a bit of torque. But the 2.7 do not like hills and it do not like towing. Is always a battle, dies in 4th and when you go to 3rd it over rev. Gap between 4th and 3rd too big.
Only gets alive over about 3500 rpm.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Many moons ago when mine still had a 2.7 in, I also wanted to remove the first box. Both Hoppy and PowerFlow exhaust in CPT told me not to do it because I will loose torque. They also said the std branches it came from factory is good enough, they cannot improve it. If a company like PowerFlow loose a job due to their honest advice I tend to believe them.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
PapaDragon
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by PapaDragon »

niclemaitre wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:36 am Sounds similar to mine, and yes it does lack some top end power. Try to keep the revs higher than 3200 rpm. If you drop below that, you'll struggle. I think the altitude affects it too.

The Vigo Hiluxes came with a VVTi version that performs better. I don't know if it's possible to add the VVTi to the 3RZ block (I presume its the same) but you'd need the ECU and harness too.
Thanks Nic
PapaDragon
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by PapaDragon »

pietpetoors wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:28 am Many moons ago when mine still had a 2.7 in, I also wanted to remove the first box. Both Hoppy and PowerFlow exhaust in CPT told me not to do it because I will loose torque. They also said the std branches it came from factory is good enough, they cannot improve it. If a company like PowerFlow loose a job due to their honest advice I tend to believe them.
Thanks Piet
The new freeflow rear that I put in is stainless steel. the rest of the system mild. I replaced the rear cos it had a crack in it, with the intention of replacing the mild with SS as necessary. If I change the first box to standard, do you think there would be any effect?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

As long as there is still a first box it should be fine. Some people remove the first box completely which is not good. I also have SS freeflow at back.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Does this logic apply to the 4Y as well? Many years ago my front box developed a leak, so I removed it. A year or so later the middle box got a leak, removed that too, so am now running with just the last box. Performance didn't seem to change with each removal (but then 4Y and performance is a bit of an oxymoron)
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I never owned a 4y long enough to gain experience on it.
I am sure there are long time 4y owners who can tell you better.

I know in the performance world there is a thing that the engine must always be able to breathe properly. That is true for an engine that is running at high revs.
Anything you use at low or normal rpm needs back pressure for better torque. The question is just how much back pressure.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

My 4Y still has the original exhaust system fitted but I also did an EFI conversion as documented elsewhere on this forum. All I can say regarding the EFI Conversion is: "WOW!!"

Power and pleasure has increased by an estimated 15% and fuel consumption probably is better than the standard Nikki Card but Oh, what a difference in driving pleasure. Previously where I had to change down to 3rd or 4th is no longer a problem, torque has increased tremendously.

Despite several offers from people wishing to buy Bulldog from me, I simply gently smile and change the subject. I love that SFA and will never sell her!

Here she is just after having a shower:

-F_D
Attachments
Washday 2 (R).jpg
Washday 1 (R).jpg

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

If only I had the money............EFI would be done immediately. Other than that, mine is running beautifully. Love the change to 31" tyres done a few weeks ago. Seems to suit the gearing a lot better, and, I'm not sure yet, but think consumption has improved.

Apologies for hijacking the thread
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I run 31" tyres too, wise decision! The speedo reading now is also spot-on according to the GPS.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Mine is still slightly out, GPS 97 speedo 100, which is spot on enough for me and gives me a slight margin for error. With the 30" tyres I was doing 100 on the GPS and 110 on the speedo

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”