Revo discussions
shaggy10111
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: alberton
Vehicle: 2013 hilux 3D4D 4x4 Auto

Break dust covers

Post by shaggy10111 »

Hi there. My 2016 hilux dust covers are rattling. Toyota wans 3k to replace them. Do the dust covers generally need replacing or is there another way to stop the rattling noise

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Break dust covers

Post by pietpetoors »

Which dust covers?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
shaggy10111
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by shaggy10111 »

It's the break dust shields on the front disk breaks.
Bakkie was I for service yesterday and told me 3.5k to replace as they are worn out. I told them no. When I fetched the bakkie they said they managed to bend them a bit and now the rattling has stopped. For how long I don't know. But I don't see them wearing out like they said.

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If it is the back plate / dust cover type of thing it cannot wear out. It either become loose or you accidentally knock and bend them while replacing pads.
That is the only dust covers I can think off on front brakes. Besides of course the rubber dust cover on the caliper piston but that is something that wont rattle.

The other thing that can cause a rattle on front brakes are the rattle clips, little spring steel clips that prevent the brake pads from rattling.
Easy to detect, when you touch the brakes and rattling stops, you know it are them clips. Those cost about R100 each but.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
shaggy10111
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by shaggy10111 »

Yes it's the back plate dust cover thing. I thought they were talking nonsense when they said it's warn out. I thought they were loose and needed tightened, but they bent them a bit and now no more rattling.
Thanks for the response

Return to “2016 - on - Revo Shape Hilux”