making instrument cluster lights on '03 hilux adjustable

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

making instrument cluster lights on '03 hilux adjustable

Post by JAMES399 »

I have an '03 Hilux 4x4 HI-RIDER. The instrument cluster is exactly the same as on my '98 Tacoma. The only difference is that the dash lights on the Taco had adjustable brightness, while those on the Hilux do not. The lights on my 'Lux are too dim, in my opinion. I want to add a rheostat to be able to adjust the lights on my Hilux. But after looking at the schematics for both trucks, I can't see how they made the lights on my Hilux fixed brightness, yet dimmer than those on the Tacoma.
There's a opening on the Hilux dash for the rheostat, but it has a plastic plug in it.

Anyone tell me how to make the brightness of my Lux's dash lights adjustable ?? Thanks.

- JAMES
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: making instrument cluster lights on '03 hilux adjustable

Post by JAMES399 »

EDIT: I looked through the factory service manual for my Hilux again, and found that the rheostat is shown in the schematic. The plug for the rheostat is listed as "R5," but it's location is not shown in the wiring diagram . . . ANYWHERE. I'm assuming that they subbed a fixed resistor for the rheostat and it's in the loom somewhere. Maybe in the instrument cluster itself. Taking the cluster out of my truck is a headache +, so I'm going to remove the lower dash panels tomorrow and look for a plug with (maybe) a resistor plugged into it. Should be somewhere around the hole in the lower dash for the rheostat if it's there at all. if not, I'm gonna forget it and live with the dim lights until I have another reason to remove the cluster. In any case, wish me luck.

- JAMES
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

If you take the cluster out, measure the voltage across the cluster lights. If this measures less than 12v you should be able to sort something out but if it is indeed 12, then you need to put higher-wattage bulbs in the cluster.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by JAMES399 »

Thanks, DOG -

If I recall, when I got the truck several dash lights didn't work, and I replaced them with some I had laying around. Pretty sure what was in there were standard bulbs. My 4WD light is out, and I need to replace it, so I'll check the dash light voltage then.

- JAMES

Return to “The Workshop”