G52 transfer box - odd noise

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
rupertmja
Town: Northland
Vehicle: Hilux LN167

G52 transfer box - odd noise

Post by rupertmja »

Newbie here.
I have a 2001 Hilux LN167 Singlecab ute. New Zealand. When I got it 3 years ago the gearbox was no good and I found and fitted one from an LN106 - a bit older, but apparently reconditioned. It has been great but over the last week it has developed a noise. I don't use 4WD much. Anyway, in 4WD it makes a noise - not a UJ noise. If you rotate the shaft it feels almost slinky springly like. It still works if I put it in 4WD but because of the noise I don't use it.
I may be able to get another transfer case - and looking underneath - it looks like it would come off fairly easily - is that so I wonder?
Any ideas as to the source of the noise?
Rupert, New Zealand.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Re: G52 transfer box - odd noise

Post by dax021 »

Hi Rupert, don't expect a quick reply today, this forum is generally pretty quiet over weekends. I am far from being knowledgeable about drivetrains, so I'm afraid I can't help. A suggestion though, would be to try upload a video of the problem, so when the boffins come online they'll get a better idea of the symptoms.

Return to “The Workshop”