Can I swap a 1989 22r 2WD 4 speed transmission with a 1994 22re 2WD 5 speed transmission?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ludicrism
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: hilux

Can I swap a 1989 22r 2WD 4 speed transmission with a 1994 22re 2WD 5 speed transmission?

Post by Ludicrism »

Hi everyone, I am asking if anyone knows if I can swap a 1989 22r 2WD 4 speed transmission with a 1994 22re 2WD 5 speed transmission?
Has anybody swapped these transmission before? Please let me know thank you
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Can I swap a 1989 22r 2WD 4 speed transmission with a 1994 22re 2WD 5 speed transmission?

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Kathy and welcome.

An interesting question to which I cannot give you a ready answer but maybe someone out there has done / tried this before and can give some definitive advice.

What I will say is that which comes to mind and the first thing is whether you want to use the old bell housing and clutch assembly, which I think would be preferable from a convenience point of view. If the two bells are identical then it's a moot point, however, either way I would suggest that the clutch plate and release bearing be replaced at the same time and that the condition of the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces are checked ... if there is any scouring then replace the pressure plate and have the flywheel skimmed.

If there is a difference in the bells and you want to keep the old one in, then the bolt holes for mounting the gearbox should correspond. If they don't, then you might be better off using the 22RE bell and clutch .... I would assume that the bolt holes for the bell on the block will be identical (same blocks were used). Either way, the overall length of the transmission components you replace should be the same or very close so as to avoid any modification to the driveshaft .... any small difference of a few millimetres can be accommodated by tweaking the position of the carrier bearing. Any such adjustment will be taken up by the slip-joint on the diff side of the shaft.

One other thing to check is whether the diff ratio used for the 4 speed is the same as that which was used for the 5 speed.

Hope it all works out for you without too much hassle and let us know for future reference how it went. Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”