Canadian Hilux ID?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
RyceNosage
Town: Seeleys Bay
Vehicle: LN106

Canadian Hilux ID?

Post by RyceNosage »

I bought a Gem.
It looks like a 1997 4Door Hilux with a 3L diesel 5spd on an LN106 stamped frame. 99,000 original kms.
But, here’s where it gets interesting.
The dash tag, door tag and ownership all share the same VIN, but the VIN belongs to a 1987 Vehicle with a 22RE. And it’s Left hand drive.
What I think happened was, it in order to import the vehicle into Canada they swapped out the VIN to hit that older than 15yr mark.
My question is how do I order parts for this with out the proper VIN? How do I tell which motor I have? Is it a 2.8 Liter 3L?
I’m going to need a lot of help on this one.
Thanks
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: Canadian Hilux ID?

Post by niclemaitre »

The engine number should be on the plate as well, that will give you the engine model
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
RyceNosage

Post by RyceNosage »

That’s what’s I’m saying. The plates (door,window,under hood) are all for a different truck. Plates and vin say it’s a 22RE truck. It’s a 3L diesel lol
RyceNosage

Post by RyceNosage »

Are all LN106 stamped frames fitted with the same brakes/suspension, etc? I need to order new brakes and want to put in new suspension but don’t know where to start. There aren’t a lot of these trucks in Canada. This one came from Portugal it’s Left hand drive.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

AS far as I am aware, the LN106 model was never available in South Africa, so info is scarce.

All I could find is this:

"Toyota Hilux Pick UP S-LN106 released in August 1990 comes in Double CAB SR variant with 2,779 cc engine and Manual transmission. This model comes in Pickup body type equipped with 3L engine model that run on Diesel . Hilux Pick UP S-LN106 weights 1,570 kg with 4 doors and 5 seats having a complete volume of 14.188 m3. It comes in standard colors along with optional colors like white, blue grey metallic ,silver metallic, red mica, medium blue metallic."

https://cars.japanesecartrade.com/detai ... -sr/141604

Not much help I'm afraid.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The lift shouldn't be too much of a problem, depends on what suspension is in there .... is it an SFA i.e. a solid front axle (beam axle) or IFS i.e. independent front suspension.
SFA is easy ... leaf springs front and back .... just swap out the leaf packs and ideally shocks with a longer travel.
IFS a little more complicated in front ... things like ball-joint spacers, CV angles, diff drop come into play.
Which is it? SFA or IFS?

Brakes should be easy enough as well ... just take a brake pad from the front and brake shoe from the rear as samples to your spares outlet, tell them what you know / suspect about the vehicle model and they can pull up all the relevant schematics and match them up to your samples.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
RyceNosage

Post by RyceNosage »

It’s a SFA, I think the axels are the same as the Early 80’s mini trucks (Back to the future), offered here in North America. So brakes, hubs,axels could be the same. I’m hoping so for availability. This truck is badass, I’ve been looking for one for decades in this shape. Usually anything here is half rotten from all the salt. This one is solid solid. It’s such an amazing rig. I seen you wrote in another post about lift. You say 100m lift is sufficient without mods. What size tires can I fit with a 100mm lift?
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Ok OP, so you have posted four times now. It's time for a picture of your truck
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

33 inchers would fit, you might have to move the front axle forward by around 35mm but that is easy enough and lots of info on this forum.

But please post a pic, we would love to see your truck!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Agree with Thabo .... I wouldn't go bigger than 33" tyres but as he said it more be strongly recommended to move the axle forward 30 / 35mm ... not a big issue ... search for "axle shift" on this forum. Without the forward shift, you are very likely going to get fouling of the tyre against the footwells on turns. Rim off-set can exacerbate that problem (the further they stick out, the worse it can be). :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Another issue will be to turn 33' tyres with a 3L engine...
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
RyceNosage

Post by RyceNosage »

IMG_0720.jpeg
IMG_0720.jpeg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 41 times
RyceNosage

Post by RyceNosage »

IMG_0644.jpeg
IMG_0644.jpeg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 41 times
RyceNosage

Post by RyceNosage »

There she is.

I’m also looking for a TOYOTA grill to replace that emblem. Did they make one that would fit from another Model. I think mine is a 1997, it was brought into Canada as a 1987 under the radar by the original importer. So I’m not really sure what year it is. lol It’s def a 5th gen.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”