4.0 V6 Supercharger

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

4.0 V6 Supercharger

Post by Mornes »

Good day,

anybody in the group done a supercharger conversion on the 4.0V6? im itching and have been looking at the TRD option
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Re: 4.0 V6 Supercharger

Post by 3RZ »

First get a price then the itch might go away. RGM quoted me R65000 for the installation on my 2.7 the previous time I enquired. Rob Green does a Vortech SC conversion http://www.rgmotorsport.com/html/toyota_hilux.html, Alpine is operating under the name PSI (Performance Systems International) in Durban http://www.performancesi.com. You can also try LCEngineering in the states which I think will be your best bet cost wise if you want to fit the system yourself. http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ ... 36063FD30C

http://www.lcengineering.com/
African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

Dieselfde prys (R65000) so jaar of wat terug by RGM gekry. Daai gegjik het vinnig verdwyn!
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

SAC now also has a TRD supercharger option and it is a genuine Toyota part, the kit comes complete with injectors and bolts onto existing holes etc. The price is much better, about R50k if im not mistaking. Just dont trust the boys from Kyalami SAC though, have burnt my fingers every time ive been there...
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Go and have a look at http://www.lcengineering.com hulle they bought the manufacturing rights or whatever it is called for the TRD superchargers. They have a kit for the 4l FOR $4140 http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ ... B3F466F061

Mine is stil in a box in the garage, have to start thinking about fitting it sometime.
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

ag nee man Willem, wat jy nou se is baie verkeerd.

hoe kan jy so n lekker speelding nog in n box he...

ek het met die SAC ouens gepraat, hulle reken as jy voreg wegspring kan mens die ding ophe teen vroeg middag.

iemand het egter vir my gese dat die SA Hilux mapping nie die TRD charger ondersteun nie?
Morne' Smuts

3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Dis hoekom die 3RZ kit 'n 5de injector en Unichip insluit.

En die 4l sin het groter injectors en ek sien hulle praat van reflash en calibration deur 'n handelaar, weet nie of hulle weet wat dit is hier by ons nie.

Self sal beter voel as mens self die timing en fuel kan doen met 'n Unichip of soortgelyk.

"TRD Supercharger Kit - 4.0L - Tacoma (05-08), FJ Cruiser (07-08)

After years of speculation and anticipation it is finally here!! TRD has made the 4.0L supercharger available. This new kit is the best TRD has ever made with features like hi-flow injectors and water-to-air intercooler. It is worth the wait! Oh yeah, by the way, it bumps that 4.0L engine up to 304 HP and 334 Ft./Lbs. of torque while still maintaining your factory warranty.

The supercharger has been calibrated for optimum performance with the stock air intake. TRD does not recommend using any TRD or other aftermarket air intake with this supercharger kit. After installation, the vehicle must have an engine calibration reflash from an authorized Toyota dealer.

Warranty is same as the Toyota Powertrain Warranty of up to 5-years or 60,000 miles, or the remainder of the factory powertrain warranty at the time of installation, when installed by an authorized Toyota dealer. Superchargers installed by anyone other than an authorized Toyota dealer are warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Key Features Include:
Roots style blower with 1-piece integral manifold
Water-to-air intercooler with independent cooling system
Hi-flow fuel injectors "
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

so wanneer sit ons hom in?
Morne' Smuts

riefra
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 4.0 VX

Post by riefra »

Al enige terugvoer is die Supercharger al in sal graat jou teruvoer wil hoor? :
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

nog nie nee, soek ook nog iemand wat dit self gedoen het en gelukkig is daarmee
Morne' Smuts

Alpine
Town: Kloof
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0L V6

Post by Alpine »

Hi,

We have sold quite a few TRD 4.0L kits in South Africa and have testimonials if you get in touch with us: sales@alpine-developments.com

We also offer the Rotrex supercharger kit for the 4.0L V6 which in our opinion, given the lower cost and better performance, is the preferrable choice.

http://www.alpine-developments.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

my father in law made a booking for Prado at Alpine... i'll keep you posted
Morne' Smuts

Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

my dad opted for the supercharger option, which looks to have gone horribly wrong. anybody have experience on what to do to get some extra low down torque for towing a carravan?
Morne' Smuts

Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

What went wrong Morne??

Know what you don't know.
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

at the moment it looks like either failed rings or pistons caused by detonation..
Morne' Smuts

Kattie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: walvis bay
Vehicle: 4.0L hilux

Post by Kattie »

Morne im also looking at the trd charger,bakkie is going in on monday for the exhaust and unichip and dyno then i will decide if the charger is still nessesary.Full quote was chip,pipe,charger,dyno and labour = N$ 68 000-00
I saw a 4.0L cruiser in action with the TRD charger on,words cannot describe it
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

the TRD charger is very nice, apparently easy enough to fit yourself within one day they say. SAC fits it locally in SA, i drove the first one they did and i to was very impressed.
Morne' Smuts

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mornes wrote:at the moment it looks like either failed rings or pistons caused by detonation..
Mornes, what is the lates on your dad's Prado? Is it running again now?
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

without saying too much too soon, the conversion was a failure. I will keep you informed in detail soon. watch this space..
Morne' Smuts

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mornes wrote:without saying too much too soon, the conversion was a failure. I will keep you informed in detail soon. watch this space..
A failure??? How now? Sounds bad :!:
Kattie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Kattie »

Morne a little off topic but i see you also have a unichip, can you tell me what was your before and after dyno results please
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

i did my 'mods' in stages. i started by removing the cats and then extended it to doing the exhaust, branch and unichip. I did it at two specilists, RGM and SAC, so it might be difficult to compare. RGM says a standard V6 will do 103 kW on the wheels. At SAC i am currently on 140kW at the wheels, so i'd say you could pin the full conversion to close on 30kW extra.
Morne' Smuts

kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

a failure in witch way??

all depends on witch route you would like to take!!

Sybie Cotzee, in Brakpan, self have sent may people his way, and self have been dealing with him for about 20 years

011 740 1330

you can tell him I referred you, he can sort things out!!

one last question, the people that did the job, should then not sort it out?? :aggresive:

good luck!! :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kattie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Kattie »

Thanks Morne,Standard i was on 125kw on the wheels,after chip and full exhaust 135kw,a mere 10kw gain.now i want to know how much it will increase with super charger,becuase it's a lot of money involved
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Kattie wrote:Thanks Morne,Standard i was on 125kw on the wheels,after chip and full exhaust 135kw,a mere 10kw gain.now i want to know how much it will increase with super charger,becuase it's a lot of money involved
1st off, not trying to offend any one, however lets call a spade a spade!!

a stock 4.0l V6 Hilux = 175kw!!
those are the numbers that I find in the magazine
front wheel drive cars loose 25% between flywheel and wheels
rear wheel drive cars loose 1/3 or 33% between flywheel and wheels
4x4s loose 39% between flywheel and wheels!!

so for the quick maths 175kw - 39% = 106.75kw on the wheels

now allow me to pop that bubble even further - 3% for every 1000ft above sea level
depending on the exact location it can be up to 18%

so 106.75kw - 18% = 87.535

then full exhoust and chip 10kw about 14hp sounds possible!!

any other reading that includes power correction factors are only given by dyno operators to put a smile on the face of the customer!!
there are a few, some will tell you they can work out what your losses are and tell you its flywheel Kw, some will use temp C* correction factors, and some will use a correction for barometic pressure and altituide!!
refered to as ''happy dynos''
beware of such dyno operators!!

there are honest guys out there , one of them I have mentioned
have seen other real numbers quoted by people on here!!

good luck!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DINO
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: CAPE TOWN.SOMERSET WEST
Vehicle: 00 DISCO 2 V8i

Post by DINO »

Hi Morne,I got someone that wants to trade his 4.0,but have to remove sc kit(Basil Green) from vehicle.Phone or email me.083 320 1158,dino.burnco@mweb.co.za.
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

ok some good news for a change. my dad got his Prado back after repairing it and fitting a TRD supercharger at Van Der Linde. i drove it last night, and it is simply amazing. it hasn't changed it into a boy racer, but is now sooo driveable.
Morne' Smuts

kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

great news!! happy for you guys!!
expected nothing less from V der Linde!!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mornes wrote:ok some good news for a change. my dad got his Prado back after repairing it and fitting a TRD supercharger at Van Der Linde. i drove it last night, and it is simply amazing. it hasn't changed it into a boy racer, but is now sooo driveable.
Morne....tx for popping in...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Glad to hear it's sorted :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

i fitted it....
Attachments
IMG-20120928-00003.jpg
(196.87 KiB) Downloaded 1486 times
Morne' Smuts

Shimano
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC125

Post by Shimano »

Whow! :o Tell us a bit more are you happy with the conversion?
Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

looks very impressive, make sure your air filter seals 100% and stay away from aftermarket filters, nothing kills a supercharger quicker than dust.
We used to smere a little grease on the inside of the inlet manifold (after the filter), the grease will show if any dust gets through.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

great advice with the dust thanks.

overall im very happy with the conversion, has made it 200% more driveable, especially on the freeway where previously it used to gear back prematurely.

fuel consumption has slightly better on first tank.
Morne' Smuts

Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Have you done a Dyno? Figures?

Who did the conversion for you? Are you happy with them?

Come on, man! You can't give us this little bit of skimpy details and expect us to be happy! You must be careful, just now we'll form a mod, strike, burn building and hurl insults at you if you don't immediately concede to our demands! :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

i surrender then :surrender: . SAC in Midrand did it for me. They fitted the TRD supercharger which is currently fitted to the Hilux equivalent in Australia. It does not deliver as much as other chargers such as those fitted at RobGreen, but offers a simple bolt on reliable solution. Everything bolts onto existing holes and all parts have Toyota part numbers. The conversion improves power to 255kW and torque to around 450-500Nm. If driven normally without trying to roll up the road, ive seen very similar and better fuel consumption numbers. i did a boegoeberg dune trip this weekend and man is there a big difference. very happy.
Morne' Smuts

Boomer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Boomer »

Nice mod, i am going this route soon. :thumbup:
Toyota Fortuner
4.0 V6 4x4
TJM Bumper, Snorkel, 16" BF Goodrich A/T, Stofpad Rock Sliders, EFS Elite Suspension, KC 6" Day Lighters, Frontrunner Roof Rack, Frontrunner Fridge Slide and Drawer System, LED Work Light, Duel Battery System.
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

I gained about 50 odd kw on the wheels and i must say you feel it. I pushed it this afternoon for the first time, it clocked the 200 mark in no time with plenty to spare.
Morne' Smuts

beast 21
Town: brakpan
Vehicle: toyota 4.0 v6

Post by beast 21 »

hi all I just bought a Toyota hilux v6 the bakkie was fitted with arctic kit and the suspension was lifted and its got bigger tyres 17inch 315/70 it also has a vortech supercharger not sure of the specs.problem is the car is consuming quite a lot of petrol 25-30 litres per 100km please help :shock2:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I am even too scared to attempt to answer anything on this one except - Hope you get something sorted out...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 08 Vigo 4x4 d/c 4.0L auto
Club VHF Licence: X138

Post by Warrior »

My Vigo is basically an Arctic Truck (LITE) :twisted:
I dont get much more than 5km/L.
Keep in mind that with those massive wheels the speedo and odo will be significantly off.

My auditor bought a RGM Vigo three years ago and still loves the thing as at day one.
Massive difference in power between my standard V6 and the supercharged version - believe me !
Just the whining noise from the supercharger might put off some people.

My 2c
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Morne,just for interest sake.What is the consumption in figures ?.It sounds like and awsome beast you have there.I would luv to see you and the ford 3,2 dragging .
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Mornes »

in town 6.5 to 7 and open road i did over 8 to namibia earlier in the year.

3.2 diesel?
Morne' Smuts

Return to “The Workshop”