How long to boil the perfect hard-boiled egg?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

How long to boil the perfect hard-boiled egg?

Post by Family_Dog »

Let's hear the varying opinions here... :mrgreen:

"How long should one boil hard-boiled eggs?"

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Re: How long to boil the perfect hard-boiled egg?

Post by the BuTch3R »

Don't boil hard-boiled eggs! :twisted:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Noob wrote:Don't boil hard-boiled eggs! :twisted:
OK, let me rephrase the question:

"How long should an egg be immersed in boiling water in order to produce the purr-fect hard-boiled egg?" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Perfect for what?

To use as a perfect space taker-upper in your dustbin so that you can fill THE dustbin up enough to get your money's worth from you municipal refuse collection service fees you pay every month even if you do not use it, I would say about 5 to 50 minutes depending on how much time you need to dispose of sitting and watching the egg boil since you finished watching all your paint dry.

Perfect as ammo for your slingshot to knock trespassers and unwanted visiters out cold guess it must be boiled for about 3 hours

Perfect as dog food - about 10 minutes

Perfect to eat it yourself it should be left in the water no longer then 1 second before you fry it, poach it or scramble it.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Depending where you get the eggs from. I boil them directly from the fridge. Halve fill a pot with cold tap water. Take the eggs from the fridge and put in water. Put the pot on the stove and turn the plate to it's maximum (on mine its level 6). Wait 15 minutes. Take of the stove. Let stand for 1 minute, drain the hot water and fill the pot again with cold tap water. This will help you get the shell of easier.
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Wait 15 minutes.
:shock: Jissie Cassie! This must be a 'Blou Bul' recipe, 'cos that's blue army eggs for sure! :D:
Room temp eggs = 4½ to 5 mins into boiling water that's got a little salt added to raise the boiling point.
Ex fridge add as much as a minute but the more eggs the longer it takes ......

Damn! Eric! What were you thinking! You should know that this crowd (Hilux Forum members) will analyse this simple question to pieces! e.g. What is the mineral content of the water (use distilled for more accurate results) .... what volume of water is to be used .... will this be done at sea level? otherwise at what altitude .... how many grams precisely does this egg weigh .... how many microns is the shell .... what is the ratio between yolk and albumen of the said egg and hard boiled to who's liking or standard to mention a few variables off the top of my head! :D:

I suspect that your fiendish ways had something to do with this posting, all the while knowing that it will cause a storm in a tea-cup for your develish amusement. :lol: :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

My Fellow Hiluxers,

I posted this while actually boiling two eggs, then wondered how long they should actually boil for. You will be amazed at all the conflicting answers I found to this mind-boggling scientific question when I Googled for it:

* Do not use refrigerated eggs
* You can use refrigerated eggs
* Use only 3-5 day-old eggs
* Never add salt
* Add salt
* Leave them to settle to room temperature first
* 2-3 minutes in boiling water
* 5-6 minutes in boiling water
* 10-15 minutes in boiling water
* Place in cold water, bring to the boil and leave for ...
* 5-7 minutes
* 10-12 minutes
*15-16 minutes
* Until they float
* Until they crack
* Let stand for 5 - 10 - 15 minutes after boiling for "x" minutes
* After boiling, place under cold running tap for 4 minutes

Now, I was completely at a loss. I mean, if the World's Best Chefs cannot agree on how to boil an egg, how should I, a Hiluxer of most sober habits, claim to know any better? My eggs were 2-3 weeks old and had been living in my fridge since the day I bought them all that time ago. I do not know whether they were male eggs or female eggs, but I was pretty sure they were hen eggs.

I kept all this most meaningful information above away from my eggs as I proceeded to carefully immerse them into rapidly boiling water with the aid of a spoon.

* They did not float
* They did not crack
* They did not scream at me

After 7 minutes exactly, I took them out and cracked their skulls. I was rewarded with a nice firm white outer and a ever-so-slightly-soft yoke on the inside.... Just the way I like them! Not grey/green/brown colours anywhere. I succeeded where countless others before me had failed. I had boiled the "Perfect Hard-Boiled Egg!"
how-to-make-hard-boiled-eggs.jpg

Watch this space as I turn the discussion to "How long would I need to boil potatoes for?"

-F_D

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Watch this space as I turn the discussion to "How long would I need to boil potatoes for?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I rest my case! :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:
Wait 15 minutes.
:shock: Jissie Cassie! This must be a 'Blou Bul' recipe, 'cos that's blue army eggs for sure! :D:
Room temp eggs = 4½ to 5 mins into boiling water that's got a little salt added to raise the boiling point.
Ex fridge add as much as a minute but the more eggs the longer it takes ......

Damn! Eric! What were you thinking! You should know that this crowd (Hilux Forum members) will analyse this simple question to pieces! e.g. What is the mineral content of the water (use distilled for more accurate results) .... what volume of water is to be used .... will this be done at sea level? otherwise at what altitude .... how many grams precisely does this egg weigh .... how many microns is the shell .... what is the ratio between yolk and albumen of the said egg and hard boiled to who's liking or standard to mention a few variables off the top of my head! :D:

I suspect that your fiendish ways had something to do with this posting, all the while knowing that it will cause a storm in a tea-cup for your develish amusement. :lol: :wink:
Andy... I do it this way round. Direct from fridge into cold tap water. Put on stove and turn on the stove and start the timer for 15min.

This will give you exactly what is in Eric's pic and you will not have any cracked shells. Always get a 100% yield. :D:
To God be the glory
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

Eric this is the way,it works with a litlle measuring cup that jou full up to a line depending on how many eggs and how hard jou want it and its got a buzzer that soands when its done.The eggs comes out the same eatch time no mess no fuss.
Attachments
hilux forum fotos boiled eggs 002.jpg
hilux forum fotos boiled eggs 001.jpg
ImageImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Wim, I'm pretty sure I had something like that, many years ago! We used it for poached eggs. Wonder what happened to it - probably gone the same way as my old Outspan Orange Juice Maker - these things simply disappear if not used regularly!

Today, I boiled baby potatoes. Plunked the li'l screechers into boiling water for about 15 minutes, did not really have the inclination to read a dozen recipes for it on Google :)

-F_D

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Just realized.... there is another factor at play here. All the different versions can be true. Keep this in mind. It is impossible to boil an egg on top of mount Everest as the boiling point of water is something like 20°C (not sure what the exact value is). The more pressure you apply the higher the boiling point of water become. AFAIK here on the highveld water boils at 78°C and not at 98°C as at the cost.

So Andy :wink: this the reason why I get nice yellow eggs and not blue bull eggs like you suggested.
To God be the glory
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

When I was still knee high to a grasshopper, I tried to boil eggs in the microwave.
On cracking the shell, it exploded in my face.... :shock:

Somethings you just learn the hard way :D:
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:It is impossible to boil an egg on top of mount Everest as the boiling point of water is something like 20°C (not sure what the exact value is). The more pressure you apply the higher the boiling point of water become. AFAIK here on the highveld water boils at 78°C and not at 98°C as at the cost.
Vir blou eiers op Everest hoef jy hulle nie te kook nie, trek net 'n zip hier en daar af..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Om eiers op Everest te kook, het jy 'n klein pressure cooker nodig.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

CasKru wrote:Just realized.... there is another factor at play here. All the different versions can be true. Keep this in mind. It is impossible to boil an egg on top of mount Everest as the boiling point of water is something like 20°C (not sure what the exact value is). The more pressure you apply the higher the boiling point of water become. AFAIK here on the highveld water boils at 78°C and not at 98°C as at the cost.

So Andy :wink: this the reason why I get nice yellow eggs and not blue bull eggs like you suggested.
Which is why I asked Eric in the first reply ...
Damn! Eric! What were you thinking! You should know that this crowd (Hilux Forum members) will analyse this simple question to pieces! e.g. What is the mineral content of the water (use distilled for more accurate results) .... what volume of water is to be used .... will this be done at sea level? otherwise at what altitude ....
Water will have a low boiling point on Everest, but surely not as low as 20° .... Sir Hillary's blood would have boiled in his veins. :think:

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:Water will have a low boiling point on Everest, but surely not as low as 20° .... Sir Hillary's blood would have boiled in his veins. :think:
Actually meant 20­°F not °C :oops: :oops: but I have gone and check. The temp water boils at on Mount Everest is 36°F or 69°C :shifty:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That's amazing, hey. But it goes to show how important it is to have a properly sealed radiator / cooling system on our vehicles which allows pressure to build to a point determined by the relief valve in the radiator cap. This in turn raises the boiling point of the coolant. Of course nowadays the collant additives (anti-frezze / anti-boil) assist with this principle. :wink:

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:That's amazing, hey. But it goes to show how important it is to have a properly sealed radiator / cooling system on our vehicles which allows pressure to build to a point determined by the relief valve in the radiator cap. This in turn raises the boiling point of the coolant. Of course nowadays the collant additives (anti-frezze / anti-boil) assist with this principle. :wink:
Ed Zackery!

If I remember correctly the radiator cap opens at 104kPa to let the coolant flow towards the reservoir tank.

PS: If you see steam coming from the reservoir, your engine is running to hot
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

So should I have added anti-freeze to the boiling water when I was boiling the eggs...? :think: :shock:

Do I feel the need for a thermometer?

-F_D

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Family_Dog wrote:So should I have added anti-freeze to the boiling water when I was boiling the eggs...? :think: :shock:

Do I feel the need for a thermometer?

-F_D
Not anit-freeze.... coolant :twisted:
To God be the glory
Irishman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Saldanha
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux Double Cab

Post by Irishman »

I'm not allowed to cook hard boiled eggs. We used them for padkos, and after the first stop, we had to drive with the windows open :oops:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Irishman wrote:I'm not allowed to cook hard boiled eggs. We used them for padkos, and after the first stop, we had to drive with the windows open :oops:
Remember you told us bout your uncontrollable farting the other day Eric, now we know why, all that dog food ag I meant boiled eggs you are eating
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Irishman wrote:I'm not allowed to cook hard boiled eggs. We used them for padkos, and after the first stop, we had to drive with the windows open :oops:

Think you better re-think that gas gizmo you were cooking Big Ron :wink: :wink:

Return to “Open Discussion”