Safety in Southern Africa

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
teepee
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Safety in Southern Africa

Post by teepee »

Hello again,

I have a question for you lot, i've asked it elsewhere, and have a general idea on the subject, but would greatly appreciate your input!

We will be buying a car in SA, and then travel for four months from/to cape town via namibia, botswana, zambia, malawi, mozambique and south africa.

Is this safe for three people in a fully equipped Hilux?

We've considered renting a 4x4 in namibia and then limit the trip, so as to exclude south africa. Would this be a better option?

Thanks for any and all input!

TP
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Safety in Southern Africa

Post by george »

Hi TP.
Welcome to our site.I can only comment on SA and Nam.
Namibia is very tourist friendly and safe.
In SA it depends where you go.The rural areas e.g The karoo,West coast,South Coast,Low Veld,national parks are safe.Places where you could get problems is the Cities.Stay away from places like Hilbrow,Cape Flats.
Just remember that all places can be safe or dangerous.Keep an open mind and use common sense.Remember your sixth sense.If you feel uneasy get out of there.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Safety in Southern Africa

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi teepee,

Stay off the freeways too. There are far too many trucks driving recklessly on the freeways. and most of the accidents I noted when driving to Durban recently were heavy-vehicle related. The only Hilux I saw involved in an accident whilst on the trip, did it in grand style too. It was precariously perched (very much so!) nose down on a rocky cliff, I have no idea how it got there, about a 70° incline to the road :shock:

Rather find a quieter bypass road, the old National roads should usually be a good bet.

Enjoy your trip!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Places to go”