Hilux 2003 rear axle seal

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Wayne
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 4x4

Hilux 2003 rear axle seal

Post by Wayne »

Maybe one of you out there who really knows these vehicles can help.
The vehicle is 2003 2700i 4x4, The axle is the banjo import type.
I had a bearing replaced on the rear right of the vehicle, I bought the parts myself and they where from Toyota.
The mechanic who did the job has a good reputation.

So here goes, get vehicle back and 2 weeks later I notice plenty diff oil on inside of wheel.
Vehicle goes back, seal replaced, less than 2 weeks later oil all over again.
This time I replace the seal myself but when I install the half shaft I notice that looking into the hole for the ABS sensor that the ABS ring on the half shaft is only showing about 1/3 of the width of the hole (from wheel side).
The last retaining ring inboard of the ABS ring on which the seal should be running is not even engaging with the seal.
I look at the workshop manual and it states that the distance from the outside of the axle flange to the inside edge of the last retaining ring should be 122.2mm +- 1mm.
I phone the workshop and I am told that one can't over press the ABS ring and retaining ring on the shaft.

I should have taken a photo but in order from outside there is the bearing, retaining ring, ABS ring, 2nd retaining ring.

Any advise would be welcome.
Wayne
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 4x4

Re: Hilux 2003 rear axle seal

Post by Wayne »

I found this info on an american site:

"One critical thing to note when you have ABS and you also replace the bearings is the diagram that you've posted about how far to correctly press on the ABS ring and the retainer ring. There is a gap between the ABS ring and the end of the bearing. Many techs don't realize that and just smack all the pieces together. If you smack them together, the retainer ring doesn't make a proper seal against the inner axle seal. If it immediately leaks again after the bearing was replaced, you know the tech likely messed up the spacing there - plus if you look at the ABS tone ring through the axle housing where the sensor goes, you'll see that it's not centered like it should be. One tech I talked to said they sometimes smack all the pieces tight together and then add 2 retainer rings in the hopes that that will be OK with the seal there. I don't have experience to know if that method actually works though. Good job on noticing the need for correct spacing there. I'm just reiterating its importance after a painful experience for me related to that topic.

Another thing to note is to be sure the C-clip or snap ring or whatever it's called is properly in place to hold the bearing there. Otherwise, you can lose the entire wheel and axle as you watch it pass you on the road. I've heard a couple people describe that one."

Return to “The Workshop”