Idler arm boot - HELP

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Wayne
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 4x4

Idler arm boot - HELP

Post by Wayne »

Hi all,

I am in desperate need of the rubber boot that goes on the ball joint on the idler arm.
My vehicle is a hilux 4x4 2002 2.7 and the idler arm has only been on the vehicle about 50 000 Km.
Unfortunately the boot has been damaged and you cant buy the boot seperate, you have to buy the whole unit at R2400. :(
If anyone has a second hand idler arm or knows of a breaker that has please let me know.
I am going on a trip to Namibia in 2 weeks time so I need it urgently.

Regards
Wayne
083 3456 245
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Idler arm boot - HELP

Post by Mud Dog »

I can imagine that you will battle to find a boot on it's own. A breaker's yard will most likely want to sell you a used complete idler. How badly is it damaged? Can it not be repaired?

Using a piece of flashing membrane ( preferably not the dense one made by ABE ) or otherwise a piece of synthetic material cloth (polyester) and cut and appropriate size / shape patch. Take a small amount of black automotive silicone, add a few drops of acetone at a time and stir it up till it has the viscosity of a thick paint. The boot should be properly cleaned and grease free (Benzine works well without any residue). Apply some silicone paint to the boot area with a small disposable brush and work it around the area so that there is a good bond .... lay the patch over and work it in / smooth it out .... apply the remainder of the thinned silicone over the patch. Allow to cure for about 4 hours before manipulating it or working with it.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Wayne
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 4x4

Re: Idler arm boot - HELP

Post by Wayne »

Thanks for the advice, if I dont come right with a boot I shall try to fix.

Return to “The Workshop”