Refused service at Shell.

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
optirite
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort Dam
Vehicle: 1993 80 Series Land Cruiser (3UZ-VVTi)
Club VHF Licence: J91

Refused service at Shell.

Post by optirite »

Hi all, apologies for off topic but:
I am gobsmacked. I am riding my motorbike today, and stopped at the Shell garage in Constantia Office Park, corner of Hendrick Potgieter and 14th Ave in Constantia, Roodepoort, to fill up with fuel.

The attendant told me to get off the bike and stand away from it before filling with petrol. I declined and he put the nozzle back into the holder at the pump and refused to help me further. I asked to see the sign or for him to explain this new rule and he told me that he was the forecourt manager and that he was not going to serve me anymore. I asked to speak to the garage manager and was told that he was out. He then turned around and walked away.

I went to Total, just around the corner and was given the friendly service that I am used to.

Mike Cliff
Image kiss kiss
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Re: Refused service at Shell.

Post by Sebata »

:shock: :shock:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
ForYota
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Post by ForYota »

BlikVis

Gaan gooi hulle op hellopeter.. sy sussie se vissie man :shock2:
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Ek weier nou al vir die af gelope 15 jaar om by Shell vol te maak (en het nog nie in daai tyd nie) as gevolg van hulle attitude
To God be the glory
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Give a man a little power, make him fore-court manager, and suddenly he is king of all...

Go back later in a car, see the manager, ask for explanation (maybe there is some stupid or perhaps very sensible rule)
Then tell them what you think of them!
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Oupa Stig wrote:Give a man a little power, make him fore-court manager, and suddenly he is king of all...

Go back later in a car, see the manager, ask for explanation (maybe there is some stupid or perhaps very sensible rule)
Then tell them what you think of them!
I believe they probably had some guys in bikes drive away without paying.... but then still. There is a nice and polite way to talk and deal with your clients.

As a matter of fact, wish they will do away with petrol attendants as I will gladly fill my own car
To God be the glory
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Seems to be a SHELL thing.I used to fill up at the local shell down the road from me but haven't used them for the past few years . The attitude and poor service as well as the attendant attempting to fill R20 fuel instead of the R200 fuel I had asked for, has caused me to use another filling station .
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

I think it is a Shell thing, I tried to fill up at the Midrand one at Carlswald. while there was a pump open it was on the opposite of my bakkie's cap so I waited behind someone, so the attendand had good intentions and asked me to drive around. but as I did that he let someone else pull in that spot and then just carried on helping them. :frustrated:

Don't know if it is me but these days I noticed preferential treatment for some...... I would be waiting for assistance and a nother car will pull in and get helped first :aggresive:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I've got this rule... if I have stopped in the bay and an attendant is not heading my way within 10sec I drive off. If they are busy serving other cars, then I don't have a problem and will happily wait. But if they are just sitting around doing nothing.... :tickedoff:
To God be the glory
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

TAKING THE FIRE OUT OF REFUELING

Not too long ago, motorcyclist Trevor J Gawne dropped by at a Shell service station to get some fuel. As usual, he pulled up next to the pump, grabbed the nozzle without getting off the bike, flipped open the fuel cap, stuck the nozzle in the hole and pulled the trigger. No go.
So he waved the pump nozzle at the attendant in the service station booth who was looking out at him. But when he pulled the nozzle trigger again, still nothing happened.
Eventually, the attendant got out from behind his desk, came to the door, and called out "Ya have to get off ya bike" Trevor was miffed. At 12.00 at night, he didn't feel he needed to be told to get off his bike to fill his bike. But he did, anyway, and when he went to pay for the fuel he had a few words with the attendant.
It turned out that the fuel company had implemented a new policy that motorcyclists cannot refill their bike while sitting on it, citing the fact that spilt petrol may be ignited by a hot engine.
Trevor was surprised by this. After all, as he pointed out, one wasn't much farther away from one's bike if one was standing beside it when filling it. Anyway, he said in true enthusiast fashion, if his pride and joy did go up in a ball of fire then he would want to go with it.
It's an interesting point. What is the danger of the bike exploding if the fuel ignites?
Well, firstly, it would most likely not be the fuel that exploded but the fuel vapour, and that would explode in a tremendously hot flash fire. In this event, if the rider has all skin covered and is wearing leathers, gloves etc and doesn't breath the flame in and sear his/her lungs, no real harm would be done. But it's likely the rider will not be wearing gloves and will have the helmet visor up, leaving skin to be severely burnt in the flash fire.
The second danger is that, if the rider is sitting on the bike, it is unlikely to be on a stand, either sidestand or main stand. Thus, if the rider is sitting on the bike, he then cannot escape the fire without dropping the bike. And when the rider drops the bike trying to escape fuel will spill fuel all over the service station. This fuel will probably also ignite, causing a massive fire that will endanger the lives of many other people.
Even if the side stand is down to remove the danger of spilt fuel as the bike goes down, if the rider is sitting on the bike as he refuels it, the potential for injury to the rider is far greater as it will take longer for him to dismount and escape than if he was standing next to the machine.
The fuel company's rules apparently came about because such a fire occurred - a rider was badly burnt around the groin area when fuel overflowed from the tank and ignited while he was sitting on his bike refuelling it.
Taking the above into account, it's obvious that the wisest course of action is to dismount whilst refuelling. It doesn't take much, and even if you don't do it for your own sake, the safety of others is at stake.
Also, if your action of sitting on a bike to refuel it cause death and/or damage and/or injury to others or to someone else's property, then YOU must defend yourself against a negligence claim. While a negligence claim is a civil case and not a criminal one, it will still cost you an arm and a leg to defend yourself, it will bring interminable stress to your life, and you may have to sell your bike to pay for the defence.
In such a case the first question in a legal test would probably be "Would a reasonable person have foreseen the possibility of death/injury/property damage from igniting fuel?" Almost every Judge would answer that with the affirmative.
The next questions would then be "What reasonable action would a reasonable person take to minimise the risk of the ignition of fuel" and "What reasonable actions would said person take to minimise death/injury/damage should their action of refuelling cause a fuel fire".
The judge would have to decide the answer to these questions based on argument put forward by expensive legal representatives.
However, a reasonable answer would surely be that, given that a reasonable person would have knowledge the danger of a fuel fire they would
1: Follow any safety instructions/directions given by signs (i,e. "Do Not Smoke", "Turn off ignition")
2: Follow the safety instruction of the service station attendants and other experts and or reasonable person.
3: Undertake any reasonable action that a reasonable person would do under the circumstances (such as not pouring fuel on to a hot object and taking reasonable care that fuel does not make its way by omission of action on to a hot object)
In other words, if you fill your bike while sitting on it and a large fire results, you could be in major trouble!
Another safety aspect of filling your bike while sitting on it, other than the fire problem, is a more, er, male one.
Allan Kirk of the NZMSC once let the tank overflow as he sat on the bike filling it. Girlfriend was on the back.
The petrol sloshed down the tank ridge and onto his trousers - he rode in jeans in those days - and when it met his testicles there was a very painful time had (a) by him and (b) by his girlfriend who thought all her recreation that evening was in dire jeopardy.
He says that, since then, he has always filled the tank standing beside the bike...
T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Modder Tekkies
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Malmesbury
Vehicle: 2.8 Gd6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC252

Post by Modder Tekkies »

Do you have one of those mowhawks stuck on your helmet??? Maybe he was afraid you'll bite of his ear :lmao:
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

when we race offroad bikes/quads you are NOT allowed to sit on the bike while you or your crew are refuelling you.
the engine may not be on either.
if they catch you , disqualified.
its a safety issue as legend35 stated above , if the fuel spills and ignites etc etc.

i just think the attendant / forecourt manager / ass kisser couldve handled the situation better and been more informative as to why he was requesting (not asking) you to get off your mode of transport.

but just a little info , dont stop at that specific service station and expect SERVICE.
THEY ARE USELESS
try filling up there at 6.00AM
3/4 are sleeping and the others look at each other too see who's gonna help you
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

There are some good facts there...
BUT
I still choose to sit on my bike to refuel it...
1) you can hold the bike up straight and manage to fill the tank properly... :siffler:
2) I ALWAYS cover both sides of the filler hole with my hands (wearing gloves) due to the fact that one atendant scratched my tank once before with the pump handle....... :punch: :punch: :punch: :punch: :punch:

If an attendant spills fuel on my bike or car i get :frustrated: and its not a nice sight anyways.....

Safer or not it still makes me mad that the service and attitude was ALL WRONG.......... :punch:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
ForYota
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Post by ForYota »

JEEPIE wrote:when we race offroad bikes/quads you are NOT allowed to sit on the bike while you or your crew are refuelling you.
the engine may not be on either.
if they catch you , disqualified.
its a safety issue as legend35 stated above , if the fuel spills and ignites etc etc.

i just think the attendant / forecourt manager / ass kisser couldve handled the situation better and been more informative as to why he was requesting (not asking) you to get off your mode of transport.

but just a little info , dont stop at that specific service station and expect SERVICE.
THEY ARE USELESS
try filling up there at 6.00AM
3/4 are sleeping and the others look at each other too see who's gonna help you
Nou daai klink vir my bietjie gevaarlik :lmao: :lmao: :mocking:

@Legend-35

Baie insiggewende stukkie inligting dankie, al rede hoekom ek op my fiets bly is hom van nader af n kop klap kan gee as hy op my tenk mors :mocking:
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

There you have it - a sensible rule.
Now go give them hell for their fore-court manager's crummy attitude!
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Post by Toppie4x4 »

Not one of our fleet drivers are allowed to fill at Shell pathetic service/attitude at majority of garages. They still need to learn that the client is king........Agree if there is a rule for not filling a bike while still sitting on it they need to inform very politely and install a sign.
optirite
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort Dam
Vehicle: 1993 80 Series Land Cruiser (3UZ-VVTi)
Club VHF Licence: J91

Post by optirite »

Just spoke to them ... they also do not fill any type of Jerry can whatever.
Image kiss kiss
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

optirite wrote:Just spoke to them ... they also do not fill any type of Jerry can whatever.
i wanna see you carry a gerry can on your bike
pic please
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2002 D/C KZTE 4x4

Post by ROBERT »

Funny, the shell near us is always cheaper for diesel than other garages, their attendants are always friendly, aand they have no problem filling jerry cans.
Pietman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux V6 4L D/C 4X4

Post by Pietman »

Ek maak vol by die Total garage hier naby my. Was nog altyd soos n' koning behandel daar. Moet sê, ek ry maar verby n' Shell garage...

Vriendelike diens en die enigste garage wat moeite doen om my werks voertuig en my Hilux se tenks ordentlik vol te maak.

En hulle het al n' hele paar van my jerry kanne volgemaak... :thumbup: :thumbup:
EX ALTO VINCIMUS
3 Blind Monkeys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: 2.8GD6

Post by 3 Blind Monkeys »

Stem saam oor "safety first" is ook in die racing deel en weet waaroor dit gaan. My seun het weke lank gesukkel met seer bobene na die petrol kap nie reg toe gedraai was nie.
Ek maak my eie tank vol en sal nie laat enige knop my bike se tanks vul nie.
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

Post by STAMPIE »

Met Shell op die voorpunt met "Fracking" planne, sal ek hulle geensins ondersteun nie.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

STAMPIE wrote:Met Shell op die voorpunt met "Fracking" planne, sal ek hulle geensins ondersteun nie.
I am with you on that Danie... If I have really really no other choice, I will fill up at Shell, otherwise, I go to the next fuel station, no matter what the brand.. :silent: :silent:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

have not had a problem on a bike yet!!

however our shell card system is always on the blink and becomes a pain to try and pay for fuel!!

so our family for other reasons have stopped using the shell by us!!

then near my work, there is a set of shell filling station!!
one on each side of the road!!
with a sigh that say, if paying by card not less then R150!!
has a loan car and did not wish to fill up!!

drove away and also no longer use them!!!

here I thought it was only me!!

:laugh2: :cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

STAMPIE wrote:Met Shell op die voorpunt met "Fracking" planne, sal ek hulle geensins ondersteun nie.
+1 :thumbup: :thumbup:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

safety ....

uhm ja ......

I ONCE refilled AFTER a long trip, 50m from home. 20 minutes later the heat of the engine had started heating the FULL fuel tank !!!! The overflow was discharging the fuel right ONTOP of the HOT engine !! I got the fright of my life ! All I could think pf was to stand at the ready with the hose pipe ..... that was a LONG 30 minutes !!!!!!!!!! and absolutely nothing happened.

you NEED a "spark", not "heat" to ignite fuel.

since then I have seen this over filling and resultant fuel spill onto hot engines a couple of times. never seen one catch on fire.

now spilt fuel and a faulty spark plug lead ..... NOW you SIT ontop of a "bomb", well more like a flash fire ....

PS - stopped useng SHELL many years ago. AFTER reporting the bad service to the owner and SHELL SA 4 or 5 times. Just gave up and now drive further for decent service.
Quadmyster
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D

Post by Quadmyster »

Bosveld rally 2005 i think. I witnessed a horrific scene with a incident like Jeepie states.

I came in for my pit as always also sat on the bike and so on while fueling and all. Guy 2 pits from me came in as well and started fueling his bike. Next moment you just see a fire ball and people running.

What happened you might ask. The fuel ignited some how between the heat of the engine, pipe or even a open wire that might have shorted while fueling. The guy fueling had a fright and spilled fuel on the rider and fire got the guy fueling as well. The rider had to be airlifted for the burns and landed in hospital for months. Even his lungs inside got burned.

I know this because i kept in touch with the members of that team. The bike was burned out. Rider got burns all over his body and places you would not like to be burned. The guy that fueled had burns on his arms chest and face.

That's why MSA made this rule and since that day im not close to my quad when fueling and there is a guy on fire watch.

I understand what the Garage is doing and why they want you to climb off. But they can explain it to you as to why and educate and put boards up saying so.
Remember what happens to a person at a filling station is on them. If you sit on your bike and get burned you gonna sue the daylights out of them. I can bet you if you go search on the net. Person on bike burn while fueling you will get something.

So forget about your pride and rather get off for 10 seconds stretch your legs and be on your way. Instead of sitting risking of burning and maybe never be able to ride again.

I say make it law at any fueling station. It's for the riders own safety. Just like not having you car engine running while fueling.
I might get horns about this post but try and see my input. But filling stations can make a better effort in to explaining and warning.
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Scary, Chris!
I think the issue here is the poor communication. Personally, I also avoid some garages where the service sucks. If I pull in to give your boss business you'd better be quick and efficient, otherwise my money will not go toward your paycheque. Have left spinmarks on a number of forecourts, and afterward always regretted my quick temper - spinning a KZ in a forecourt is bad for the KZ...
Quadmyster
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D

Post by Quadmyster »

Myself included, lost my temper a few times with lazy attendants. And do avoid garages with real bad service and dirty fuel. That indeed makes you negative. And communication is a for sure here. Can just tell a guy i'm not gonna fuel your bike if you sitting on it. Say i'm not allowed to because of company policy and terms of his contract. And if the rider asks why. Explain to them because of the risks involved. Then again some of them cant even understand when you ask for diesel instead of petrol. Ha ha

Return to “Open Discussion”