Skimming brake drums

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Wayne
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 4x4

Skimming brake drums

Post by Wayne »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good company in Cape Town for skimming brake drums and relining shoes.

The last crowd I used did not match the shoes to the drum properly so the were binding and overheated the NEW drums I had bought :evil:

Cheers
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Re: Skimming brake drums

Post by Mountain Man »

Wayne,
Sorry I don't know, however I have had the same problem as you had and it was very frustrating.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm not a great one for re-lining shoes or skimming drums / discs. They're critical components of the braking system and safety considerations have priority ... especially when it could result in injury or worse to one of my family or even other road users.

Firstly, shoes .... I'd prefer to have new shoes from a reputable manufacturer with their lining and not a re-lining from I don't know where. The holes for the location and pivoting of the shoes can become worn or elongated .... usually one hands your old ones in as core deposits and gets already lined replacements and they're normally checked for wear. If not too bad they're reused as is. So you stand a chance of getting ones with a little wear on them already. No thanks ... the difference in cost between new and re-lined isn't worth it to my mind.

If the drums have enough meat on them, are not warped or have no fine heat cracks, them maybe it's OK to have them skimmed, but the tendency is to produce thinner drums these days ... less unsprung weight and of course slightly less production costs. The downside is that they heat quicker and warp easier .... a skim aggravates those issues. So again, I prefer buying new.

But that's just me. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I believe Goeie Hoop Onderdele, in Brackenfell, sell decent relined shoes, and you can try Triangle Clutch and Brake, in Stikland, for skimming the old or purchasing new drums, they can probably supply new shoes as well...

Return to “The Workshop”