Upper Control Arm and ball joint replacement for Condor

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
mozguide
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Condor RV

Upper Control Arm and ball joint replacement for Condor

Post by mozguide »

Greetings

I have a 2001 Condor 4x4 and have done the lower ball joints. Left upper ball joint is squeeking so needs replacing. A few queries:

1) When I regrease the upper ball joint the squeaking goes away for about 200km then comes back - HOW LONG CAN I DRIVE LIKE THIS BEFORE SOMETHING BREAKS!

2) The ball joint and control arm are one piece and Toyota wants R3900, Gemini is asking R3500 - any other options?

3) Is replacing the upper control arm and ball joint a fairly straightforward diy job? My worry is the torsion bar - if I detach the control arm what happens to the torsion bar? How do I put back together at the correct torque?

Anything to watch out for when doing the upper control arm - things to do while I am about it?

Thanks

Mike
Mikem1
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Isuzu 3.0 D-tec

Re: Upper Control Arm and ball joint replacement for Condor

Post by Mikem1 »

Hi Mike.
I dont see why you would have to detach the torsion bars.The ball joint can be pressed out and replaced individually and those we get from toyota @492 each excl vat.

Regards
Darrell
Mikem suspensions
011 493 5181

Return to “The Workshop”