GSM - Cell phones, etc

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

GSM - Cell phones, etc

Post by pietpetoors »

I am not very clued up with cell phones, hope somebody will be able to help.

I am looking into importing an alarm system for our office, maybe some extras to sell.

The ones I want to import only uses wireless for the passives and sensors.
It also use GSM. You can activate and de-activate it by sms and you can program up to 3 cell numbers into the system
which it will call or sms when there is a problem. With some systems you can even call the system and listen what is going on in your home and the tokolos can talk to the strangers in your house.

Anyway, my questions.
1. They talk about "GSM Frequency 900/ 1800/ 1900MHz"
What frequency do we use in South Africa?
2. Is there other things to look out for on the GSM side, things that might cause it not to work with our SIM cards and our networks?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: GSM - Cell phones, etc

Post by ChrisF »

Piet ek sal die slim ouens by die werk vra ....

Anders Simon op die ander forum, hy werk mos in daai veld.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Dankie Chris
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Bel vir Charles van Duckit alarms, hy sal weet o83 7o8 5oo3
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Dankie Allan, sal more bel
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

We have always been using 900MHz, not sure if the other frequencies are yet in use here in SA. If not, they will be soon enough.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx Eric, that is what I need to know, so they must at least work with 900mhz

Nifty little alarms these, can program 99 wireless devices like door sensors or infra red eyes and 7 wired devices.

So if you only go wireless you only need to place the control box close to plug for power and there you go.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

1800 is being used as well but mostly 900. Make sure of what network work best where it is installed and check with the network provider
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

pietpetoors wrote:Thanx Eric, that is what I need to know, so they must at least work with 900mhz

Nifty little alarms these, can program 99 wireless devices like door sensors or infra red eyes and 7 wired devices.

So if you only go wireless you only need to place the control box close to plug for power and there you go.
Sounds good Pieter but what about the remote passives and sensors .... where are they getting their power? Often these things each have their own batteries and that's where the downfall is IMO. One overlooks to check the batteries or that all units are communicating. If it has an alarm that elerts you which sensor is no longer communicating, that's not to bad because then you are aware and can check the battery.

Personally I prefer the wired systems with one main back-up battery in case of power outage. But that's just me.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Sounds like a nice system; I'm actually looking for a gsm add-on for my Magellan system. It has a 4 wire bus & can handle plug-in ethernet & modem devices. Crrently I'm considering the ethernet adapter with some VPN solution.

One thing though is that some insurance companies insist that the remotes work off the wireless tranceiver & not off a zone input. This is to ensure that one can see which remote armed/disarmed the system in the system logs.
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

Me got one which I can phone, arm, disarm, monitor and intercom... works like a charm... on 8ta sim... :thumbup: :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Sounds like a nice system; I'm actually looking for a gsm add-on for my Magellan system. It has a 4 wire bus & can handle plug-in ethernet & modem devices. Crrently I'm considering the ethernet adapter with some VPN solution.

One thing though is that some insurance companies insist that the remotes work off the wireless tranceiver & not off a zone input. This is to ensure that one can see which remote armed/disarmed the system in the system logs
Huh, whatever, did you swallow a technical manual ?

Andy I am looking at the different systems now and the battery in passive makes sense, but I am sure they will have something on the controller that will warn you if it do not get signal from one device. If not it will be bad.

I think for people who are renting this is ideal because you can move your alarm system with you to the next house, no wires that will damage the landlord's premises.
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi Pieter,

In South Africa and Europe the cell phones operate at 900MHz and 1800MHz. This is referred to as dual band. The cellphones started off on 900MHz, and then they ran out of capacity, so they introduced the 1800MHz spectrum as well. The USA runs on different frequencies.

For interest sake, the 3G network operates at 2.1GHz, WiFi and your Microwave oven operates at 2.4GHz.
pietpetoors wrote:I am not very clued up with cell phones, hope somebody will be able to help.

I am looking into importing an alarm system for our office, maybe some extras to sell.

The ones I want to import only uses wireless for the passives and sensors.
It also use GSM. You can activate and de-activate it by sms and you can program up to 3 cell numbers into the system
which it will call or sms when there is a problem. With some systems you can even call the system and listen what is going on in your home and the tokolos can talk to the strangers in your house.

Anyway, my questions.
1. They talk about "GSM Frequency 900/ 1800/ 1900MHz"
What frequency do we use in South Africa?
2. Is there other things to look out for on the GSM side, things that might cause it not to work with our SIM cards and our networks?
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Pieter, I dont mean to hijack your thread but I am able to get my hands on these units. I personaly have a unit like this and works like a charm. Can be connected to any armed response. Many add ons such as pet friendly sensors, Speakers to monitor what is going on in your house while you are away, etc. It is quick and easy to install yourself. I get them at a lower price.

Predator X2 Wireless GSM Alarm system III

Work perfectly on all South African cellphone provider networks. This is a DIY kit with full installation instructions -save a lot on installation costs.

Wireless alarm system.

No need for security companies to know when your alarm is triggered!
Benefits

No high installation fees (often installation cost more than you pay for this unit!)
No more wires
No security company is needed to let you know your alarm were tripped
Advanced sensor technology to prevent false alarms
We have plenty of stock and additional sensors available
High quality and very reliable.
Features

Remote control keyring to arm, disarm, panic button, stay at home arm (set certain zones not to be active while at home like your bedroom)
Control unit includes keypad for easy programming and control
99 Wireless zones + 6 wired zones
150m non interference range! (keep in mind the more walls it has to go through the lesser the range)
Operates in the standard 433Mhz range as to make it compatible with almost all sensors on the market today
Very loud siren
Many types of wireless sensors available like pet immune sensors, gas leak sensors and outside beam sensors
Can also use wired sensors
Alarm can be controlled from any phone (land line or cell)
Alarm configuration (settings) can be changed from any phone or keypad
Contains microphone and speaker, you can phone the alarm and listed what goes on inside your home. Can also be used just like a cellphone to make and receive calls.
Can call you, your neighbour etc (up to 6 numbers) when alarm is triggered, you then have options to switch alarm of, re-initiate alarm, listen in to hear what is happening
Can send SMS's when alarm is triggered(up to 3 numbers)
You can call the alarm to enable or disable it or to just listen to monitor sound in your house (also great to catch out the kids having parties while you are away on holiday :-))
You can have as many wireless sensors as you want per zone. ( Normally 6 zones is enough per household, use the other two for outside buildings and outside sensors like beam sensors)
Can record a message like "This is John's alarm calling you" that can be played back when alarm calls the numbers you registered in it
Built-in 6 * NI-HI rechargeable battery, it will automatically begin to work when the power goes off
In Addition to our popular Predator X1 security system this unit includes:

SMS notify power outage and recovery
99 Wireless zones and 6 wired zones
LED display
Voice announcement on all actions
Keep a history in memory of alarm activities
Time based automatic arming and disarming of unit
Kit contains:

1 Main panel,
3 wireless PIR (motion) detector,
1 Sound bomb siren,
2 Wireless door detector,
2 Remote controllers,
1 Built-in backup battery,
1 AC/DC Adapter (South African plug),
1 User manual.
Attachments
Predator_X2_Wire_4d8905ae28afe.jpg
(74.67 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Looks like something good to have Francisco! So how much would such a setup cost? I assume the wireless units work with batteries? every how long do you need to replace them?
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Hangover wrote:Looks like something good to have Francisco! So how much would such a setup cost? I assume the wireless units work with batteries? every how long do you need to replace them?
Well the basic system I can supply at around R2700. This is exactly the same as listed above. Depending on your requirements as in my case I have 3 wireless PIR (motion) detector (pet friendly) due to our 2 cats. The relay needed to connect to your armed response is optional and could be supplied at around R190. Total estimate cost would be around R2890. Additional requirement for connection to security compant is a 12v transformer as well as battery in case power goes out.
Yes the main unit has a battery pack which gets charged by the unit.

Well the door sensors use batteries similar to remote batteries and the motion sensors use normal 9v batteries. It is advised that you check your batteries every 2 months or so. Remember these only rdaw power once the sensor is triggered.
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Pieter, I dont mean to hijack your thread
Ha Ha , but you did :taunt:

No problems. I think this is much better than traditional stuff.

Armed response are getting ridiculously expensive and in the area we stay we can still get away with a self monitoring system like this.
I will continue my search because maybe one day soon I can supply you. The one system I got quotes on looks exactly the same as the one in your pic.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Francisco, what is your price on extra IR sensors and door sensors?

Can yours take those infrared beams for outside?
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

pietpetoors wrote:
Pieter, I dont mean to hijack your thread
Ha Ha , but you did :taunt:

No problems. I think this is much better than traditional stuff.

Armed response are getting ridiculously expensive and in the area we stay we can still get away with a self monitoring system like this.
I will continue my search because maybe one day soon I can supply you. The one system I got quotes on looks exactly the same as the one in your pic.
Eish, I’m sowy… :blushing: Pieter, Ek sal jou n dop koop… :thumbup: Eendag wane ek genooi word om te kom kuier… :twisted: :twisted:

Dit was eintlik net bedoel om te wys wat wel beskikbaar is. Ek het amper my @ gesien met hulle nadat ek nou huis gekoop het. My amper R7k gekos vir n wired system met een wireless sensor want my garage grens nie aan my huis nie. Die ou sisteem was te oud. Ek bedoel, hy was in 1989 in gesit in die huis in…

Just a quick estimate but should be around R85 for door sensor, R175 for a IR motion sensor and R280 for a Pet immune IR Motion sensor.
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

pietpetoors wrote:Francisco, what is your price on extra IR sensors and door sensors?

Can yours take those infrared beams for outside?
I missed this one. I do know the you can connect your electric fence to it and therefore I am sure you can connect the beams. I can confirm. :thumbup: You can connect wired sensors to it. :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Make sure about the wired because most systems I looked at can take either 5 or 7 wired sensors and 99 wireless sensors.
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

pietpetoors wrote:Make sure about the wired because most systems I looked at can take either 5 or 7 wired sensors and 99 wireless sensors.
It is has 99 Wireless zones and 6 Wired zones. :thumbup: :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Just a note, I am also able to supply outdoor wireless 4 beam guard rail at around R900. :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Just to revive an older thread with this article .....

New mobile virtual network operator to launch in SA
(Duncan McLeod)

A new mobile virtual network operator is set to make its debut in South Africa in early May. Me&you mobile will be launched on 4 May by Durban-based Ignition Group.

Piggybacking on Cell C’s infrastructure, me&you mobile intends offering a Sim-only service to clients with competitive voice and data rates. Call rates will start at just 39c/minute, while data rates will be “competitively priced”.

Its platform is being provided by MVN-X, an Ignition Group subsidiary that also provides service to MRP Mobile, the MVNO in the Mr Price stable. MVN-X is headed by former Virgin Mobile South Africa CEO Steve Bailey.

MVNOs leverage third-party operators’ network infrastructure to provide services to consumers under their own brands. Only Cell C has shown an interest in opening its network to MVNOs.

Me&you mobile is headed by Brett Howell, whose background is in marketing — he was previously a trade marketing product manager at South African Breweries.

The company is expected to take the wraps off its plans to the media on Thursday.

Howell tells TechCentral that me&you mobile is targeted at a niche market of customers in the higher living standards measures who don’t want to be tied into 24-month contracts, but who still want flexibility that can’t be offered by prepaid.

The company will offer more of a hybrid model, where customers are billed month to month.

The company has no intention of subsidising or even selling handsets, but will direct customers to partners who do if they require a device. The names of these partners will be disclosed after launch, says Howell.

The brand will operate entirely online. Customers wanting a Sim will place an order on the me&you website using their credit card. The Sim will then be delivered to them for a small fee. There’s a R29 Sim and connection charge, too.

Howell says me&you mobile is targeting between 15 000 and 25 000 customers in its first year.

“We’ve built the business model around a modest forecast. We don’t need to get numbers in the millions.”

The company has secured its own “access point names” from Cell C, meaning customers will see me&you’s branding and not Cell C’s on their phones when they insert their Sims.

Howell says he is confident Cell C’s network quality will ensure customers won’t be disappointed. He says he has been using the network for months during the testing phase for the MVNO without any issues. Cell C has previously had congestion issues, especially in Gauteng, but the company says these have since been addressed.

Last year, MVN-X’s Bailey told TechCentral that the cellular market in South Africa is worth about R100 billion/year.

“It’s a big market, and there are a number of niche opportunities where operators can’t necessarily serve customers as well as an MVNO could,” he said.

According to Bailey, a number of South African banks have also shown “considerable interest” in launching MVNOs. “We have a pipeline of potential MVNOs,” he said at the time.

First National Bank is said to be at an advanced stage of preparation to launch an MVNO, also using Cell C as its infrastructure partner. — © 2015 NewsCentral Media
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dzombo4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Legend 35 KZTE

Post by Dzombo4 »

As far as I know, paid the school fees, any equipment that uses the wireless spectrum must be approved by ICASA.
Had to do that for the wireless access points and 3G routers that we import.
Good luck.
The word Dzombo is derived from the Tsonga word Dzombolo meaning ‘to wait for something that is slow in coming.
Named after one of the Magnificent Seven, sadly killed by a Poacher Oct 1995 @ 50 years old.
Dzombo1 Ex Army Hard Top TD upgraded to 200 Tdi. Dzombo2 1997 Discovery 300 Tdi.
Dzombo3 2000 Jeep GC Laredo 3.0l Diesel. Dzombo4 2005 Hilux KZTE Legend 35.
ImageImageImageImageImage
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

Dzombo4 wrote:As far as I know, paid the school fees, any equipment that uses the wireless spectrum must be approved by ICASA.
Had to do that for the wireless access points and 3G routers that we import.
Good luck.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.

Return to “Open Discussion”