Hilux 3d4d DC - Suspension , the Final Decision

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
daniel567
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: hilux

Hilux 3d4d DC - Suspension , the Final Decision

Post by daniel567 »

hello all

Could someone offer some guidance on the decisions made when upgrading suspension? I have read various posts on the hilux options but i still have a question below ....

I am happy to go for OME system ....

my question relates to "how to make the choice" on which option to go for per Leafspring 400 or 600 constant ? front and back springs ? and issues ...

mainly .... exactly how do you decide to choose 400 or 600 ?

I have a Hilux DC 3 d4d with standard leaf springs so far... they are now flat ....

add ons = that remain
- Alu Canopy
- draw system
- 2 fridges 60L and 15L
- spare wheel on roof x 1 and under x 1
- fuel tank on roof 60l
- roof top tent and load bars over canopy area
- upper drawer system

- standard - front and back bumper

will carry 3 to 4 people when travelling

So i asked around the shops for options and they basically advise 400 or 600 constant ...OME ....

I am not sure what all the above will weigh but the shops seem to want me to go for 400 C ...seems 600 C is out of stock ????

Was told ... if i put in 600 C i may tear my break line and something else offroad .... ?? can this be so ?

ALso ... I would like to later add a front and back enhanced bumper (eg ARB) ... and decent slide bars...

Am also told if i put springs up front now ... i must also get the front enhanced bumper now (eg ARB) else the car will stiff oddly ... ?

I guess my questions are as follows:

1. can i just put in 400 C or 600 C leaf springs now with no other change ?

1b. HOW does one decide on the 400 constant(7 blade) or 600 constant(8 blade) (what makes the choice clear ?)
(is it feasible to go for 600C take out 1 blade and return it later if needed ...price diff = R 1000+/-)

2. or must i also put in new back gas shocks (eg OME sport)

3. should i also do the front springs at same time ?

4. but then must i fit a heavier front bumper at same time to prevent car standing odd ?

Appreciate any advice offered

Kind regards
Daniel
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Re: Hilux 3d4d DC - Suspension , the Final Decision

Post by JohanW »

daniel567 wrote:hello all

Could someone offer some guidance on the decisions made when upgrading suspension? I have read various posts on the hilux options but i still have a question below ....

I am happy to go for OME system ....

my question relates to "how to make the choice" on which option to go for per Leafspring 400 or 600 constant ? front and back springs ? and issues ...

mainly .... exactly how do you decide to choose 400 or 600 ?

I have a Hilux DC 3 d4d with standard leaf springs so far... they are now flat ....

add ons = that remain
- Alu Canopy30kg
- draw system20kg
- 2 fridges 60L and 15L40kg
- spare wheel on roof x 1 and under x 140kg
- fuel tank on roof 60l65kg
- roof top tent and load bars over canopy area60kg
- upper drawer system20kg
Total give or take 295kg
- standard - front and back bumper

will carry 3 to 4 people when travelling 3x80kg = 240kg

So i asked around the shops for options and they basically advise 400 or 600 constant ...OME ....

I am not sure what all the above will weigh but the shops seem to want me to go for 400 C ...seems 600 C is out of stock ????

Was told ... if i put in 600 C i may tear my break line and something else offroad .... ?? can this be so ?

ALso ... I would like to later add a front and back enhanced bumper (eg ARB) ... and decent slide bars...

Am also told if i put springs up front now ... i must also get the front enhanced bumper now (eg ARB) else the car will stiff oddly ... ?

I guess my questions are as follows:

1. can i just put in 400 C or 600 C leaf springs now with no other change ?

1b. HOW does one decide on the 400 constant(7 blade) or 600 constant(8 blade) (what makes the choice clear ?)
(is it feasible to go for 600C take out 1 blade and return it later if needed ...price diff = R 1000+/-)

2. or must i also put in new back gas shocks (eg OME sport)

3. should i also do the front springs at same time ?

4. but then must i fit a heavier front bumper at same time to prevent car standing odd ?

Appreciate any advice offered

Kind regards
Daniel

The rough calculations above already puts you over 500kg... Put in the 600C.
daniel567
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by daniel567 »

Thanks for reply.

What is the general feeling.....is it ok to just do the Leaf springs now ? and later when funds allow....the shocks ...then later the front bumper and front spring/coil ?

or must it be done in one go ?

open to all advice ?

regards

D
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Since you don't have the heavy steel bumper upfront yet. You standard coils should still be fine. You do however have all that weight at the back already and the original leafs are already flat. So do everything in stages. Get the leafs with the original shocks. Drive it a week and the decide if you need to replace the shocks. They might be too short. Get a cheap set of monroe's in the interim if need be that are the correct length for the back.

Leaf springs don't like being flat. They break. Go visit Johan tyres Viljoen at first alignment centre in Brackenfell for another opinion. There is nothing wrong with doing everything in stages.

I do however agree that the bumper and front suspension upgrade go together.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Doing things in stages puts different stresses on the new parts as they are not sufficiently supported by the older parts...
Rather than putting in springs & then putting in cheaper shocks, until you can afford the correct stuff, save until you can fit the completed units...
Spending money on the cheaper stuff until you have enough for the more costly items, is wasting money in the meantime to save up for the right part later...
Make do with what you have, alter your driving style(slower & more careful), which will also be a saving & then purchase what you want all at once...
Then buy what you need, not what they have in stock. For overlanding you need heavy duty, not light or medium...
If their product is going to cause problems to brake calipers or whatever, get the product that will work in your vehicle, or change the calipers...Your choice.
My 2CW
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Post by Aquanaut »

Agree with Haboob.
daniel567
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by daniel567 »

Great advice all round from all - Many thanks

regards
D
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Fit air suspension in the rear that will help the leafs now and not to expensive.
We fit to plenty hiluxs.

Pm me if you need help
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

To the OP.

I have done what you are wanting to do. With canopy, draw system 2 fridges (I also have two) back aftermarket bumper with one extra spare wheel and roof top tent and loaded for a trip (even unloaded) your back will sag no matter if you go the heavy suspension route. I had the heavy suspension from Old Man Emu, It sagged. I added extra OME blades, it still sagged.

I then added the firestone air bag suspension to assist the above system. NO MORE sagging. I now also tow a 19' ski boat to Moz and back...NO sagging. I have never had a days problem with the system I have and believe me I have put it through hell.

Some more advise. I would reconsider the draw system. I have used it for two to three years now and to be truly honest I am now removing it. I am not convinced that its positive attributes compensate for the negative ones. I guarantee you that they are heavy, take a lot of space, and are not as user friendly as you would think. Example you still have to pack your things in containers and then put them into the draws, especially food stuff. (Broken eggs rot very quickly and it takes jik, handy andy and every other cleaning agent on the market and a gas mask to get the smell out). Also everything else you now put in the back has to be mounted on top of the draw system. I now cannot even see what is in my fridge without using a step ladder. The National lunar fridge which I use is mounted on a sliding bracket which is mounted on top of the draw system. If you do it this way you cannot open the fridge door completely (They hit against the canopy and canopy door). So now you are standing on a ladder sticking your hand into the fridge trying to feel for the bottle of mayo which the wife wants only to be told after removing half of the contents of the fridge because you cannot see into the fridge that the mayo is still in the container in the draw system which you did not see in the first place because it is stuck in some container along with the oil and other sauces.

The other bit of equipment that I am considering removing is the extra spare wheel carrier of the aftermarket back bumper. Once again it becomes a pain in the butt to open the spare wheel carrier then the canopy door then the tailgate. Also this has the weight of the extra spare tyre
SO if you will not be traveling to the most remote place on earth I really do not think that the back aftermarket bumper is actually worth it. The only argument for having this extra weight is to accommodate the extra spare wheel. To date I have never had two punchers that have forced me to use the extra spare wheel. In todays world you can get a puncher fixed around every tree so to speak. You can also buy the plug and repair kit. All of the options available really do not make this one of my most wanted piece of kit. If you are going to a remote place chances are you will not be alone and ten to one there will be some with you also with a Hilux so you can also use his spare if the occasion rises. Positive side. IT LOOKS MEAN.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I agree with Barry whole heartedly...
I use shelving, which is aluminium & light...
2nd spare wheel on back door & 1st spare under da vehicle...
Ask Neil (Thunder2), my system is quick & easy...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
daniel567
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by daniel567 »

always interesting to hear everyone ideas and advice ! : )

Can you give an idea of cost to fit the air bag system ? ( cape town area) ?

the drawer I have has the 60l fridge as load bin bottom level on a left side slide out tray so nice and easy to access ... the 15L is up top and awkward but manageable ... the right side has two slide out trays right to back of load bin ... and yes I pack items in their own containers .... but use labels to identify whats in them ... so helps cut down on search

but do admit the drawers are a pain esp when u need to go fetch something u need all load bin space for

so I reckon in future I would like to replace with a removable draw frame .... kind of store frame away until needed for a trip

I have seen some ideas on this site - so anyone with some photos of removable system in a hilux PLEASE POST : )

back tot he OME 600C option .... seems like no one has a pair in Cape town at present ..... ! : ( ...and months from factory delivery....

and I am not keen on someone cracking a 400C and adding a blade ... makes me worry about the warranty ?

anyone know of a shop in cape town with a genuine new 600 Constant OME ?

thanks

D : )
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

If I can remember correctly I paid about R5k for the set of air helpers from firestone fitted. The ones for the standard suspension and the one for the aftermarket suspension are DIFFERENT.

I am sure they must be a bit more now.
daniel567
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by daniel567 »

hello all again

well my date for deciding in approaching ... I hear the air bag is a good idea above ... but it will have to wait budget wise

I have pushed my bank director/dictator(wife:)) ...and decided to go for the full suspension and front bumper (leaf+shocks front and back) ...

...but...again the 4x4 shop is saying don't do the 600C ... they are pushing for the 400C ....because the constant is around 300kg ...
even though the cost to add one more middle leaf is 1000 leaf+500 fitting ...
>> they are specifically saying my constant load is less than 300 kg and if I fit 600C ... my shocks will extend unsuitably...
>> so all this confuses the issue ...

as day is approaching ... I would like to hear form those with 400Constant .... do you regret putting in the 400C ??

tell us your experiences and why you chose an option ? how soon did u put in extra blade to make it 600C ?

>> could the online experts tell us more about the pros and cons of fitting a 400Constant vs 600Constant ...specifically when u should not go 600C?

Many thanks for all advice past and future !

regards
D

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”