Chinese government ask Landy to recall Evoque

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Chinese government ask Landy to recall Evoque

Post by pietpetoors »

Imagine what the quality of our vehicles will be if this ever happened here.

The story is that owners complained that many Evoques's gearboxes failed. Landy then said they will fix it with a software update.
That was about 2 days ago. Today in the newspaper is this article:
China's quality watchdog has asked British luxury carmaker Jaguar Land Rover to recall Range Rover Evoque SUVs, following a media report which said the vehicles used faulty gearboxes.

The Tata Motor Ltd-owned carmaker must take immediate measures to recall and repair defective vehicles and extend their warranty period, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) said on its website on Thursday.

AQSIQ said it had also asked the firm and its dealers to contact buyers to organize after-sales services like repairs, and had advised customs authorities to monitor imports of the Evoque SUVs.

Chinese state television on Sunday criticized Land Rover for gearbox problems in some of its vehicles in a consumer show that also targeted other carmakers such as Volkswagen AG and Nissan Motor Co. Land Rover apologized to its customers on its microblog.

Land Rover, which is among carmakers being probed in China, in October forecast sales growth in China to roughly halve this year amid slower expansion of the world's largest auto market.
Land Rover responded to malfunction complaints regarding its Evoque cars, saying the fault in gearbox will be fixed through software upgrade, reported China Central Television on Tuesday.
The report claimed that Land Rover China denied the problems in gearbox and passed the buck to Chinese consumers, saying "they drove too fast".
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/m ... 864731.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Re: Chinese government ask Landy to recall Evoque

Post by Aquanaut »

If the Chinese are complaining about quality, then it must be bad, but on the other hand, they should do some quality inspections on their own export products before pointing fingers.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Aquanaut wrote:If the Chinese are complaining about quality, then it must be bad, but on the other hand, they should do some quality inspections on their own export products before pointing fingers.
+1
Was wondering the exact same thing now :cooldude:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The Chinese are probably trying to make their hideous brands look better by knocking established brands.

Fungwo... Gonow... Geely... GWM... Jinbei... Guangzhou... Cheri... etc... probably the cars with the worst build quality in the world!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Last week noted an article where CHINA is upset about other COPYING "their" products ....

How the wheel turns ... BWHAHAhahaha .....
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Maybe its a tactic to increase sales of the local Evoque copy, called the Land Wind

'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Big D wrote:Maybe its a tactic to increase sales of the local Evoque copy, called the Land Wind

REALLY not cool the way Land Rover copied the prestidges Land Wind design !!
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Post by Aquanaut »

ChrisF wrote:Last week noted an article where CHINA is upset about other COPYING "their" products ....

Who in their right mind would want to copy anything with a label that says "made in China" :surrender:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Aquanaut wrote:
ChrisF wrote:Last week noted an article where CHINA is upset about other COPYING "their" products ....

Who in their right mind would want to copy anything with a label that says "made in China" :surrender:
some would ask just WHY anybody would want to copy a Landy .... :shock2: :mocking:
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tjomma »

:lol: die pot noem die deksel swart :lol:
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 96' Hilux Raider 2.4 4x4 SC, 12' Mitsubishi PJS 3.2 4x4

Post by raider »

Well then they should recall 99% of their exports!

I'm sorry if this sounds racist and I know I'm generalizing but the chinese are a rubbish nation. They might be one of the fastest growing economies but they produce pathetic quality items. They are arrogant and don't have business principles. Also they open shops in our country, i'll treat and under pay our locals, don't contrbute to UIF etc or pay taxes, and they sell fake goods. They abuse natural resources and believe in stupid myths, like rhino horn is good for sex drive :evil:

Rant over. Sorry.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Maybe because of the part of the Chinese you deal with.

Talking about stupid myths, you have South Africans who believe that having sex with a goat will cure aids, or if you rape a virgin you will be cured of aids.
How is that for stupid myths, and that is your fellow South Africans.

What I have experienced of the Chinese is that they are far more hard working and proud than our South African work force. They are far more polite and far less arrogant.
I guess there must be a difference between the Chinese who are in other countries and those in China.

Talking about tax, in our wonderful country everybody earning less than R70k per year are in fact leaches, they do not contribute to the running of the country.
There are millions of South Africans who do not contribute a cent to the economy, in fact they get grants, ie. get paid to be poor and make children. The more children they make the more grants they get.

Rant over.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

now this is getting interesting ... :siffler: :subscribed:

TAX - every single person spending money in SA pays tax !! Dont forget the tax on everyday stuff such as sigarettes, "dop", etc etc .... And then on top of that most items carry a VAT fee as well.

Granted, sods like me pay handsomely on my salary. But that does not mean the "poor" (or cheats) gets to pay "no tax" ....

Would LOVE a much lower base salary tax and a much higher VAT .... maar wie wil dan die voters upset ....

now back to the chinese .....

- quality - some industries REFUSE to use chinese stuff, especially life safety applications. Purely because of the INCONSISTENCIES in chinese "quality" .... Most certainly their quality seems better now than a few years back. But still way too many items comes broken out of the box .... Let's just say it is an item in progress - to improve their quality. Who remembers when we joked about "made in Taiwan". At first the quality was not great, but soon it was up to par ... but late 90's the current regime booted out Taiwan in fovour of their long lost friends in china.

- "copy" - it is a well documented FACT that the chinese has NO REGARD for intelectual property and blatantly steals designs from anybody and everybody. And WE support this criminal behaviour by buying from them !!! The only problem with this statement - as the end user we dont always know what was "made under license" and what is no more than a Land Wind THEFT of intelectual property. The irony is that the chinese now moan that other countries are stealing their "ideas" ....

- tribal customs - uhm ja ..... each and every country has their silly habits ..... WE certainly are NOT in a position to point a finger at any other, not with a fearless leader that rapes his friends daughter while having a kraal, we paid for, full of wives .... wonder what he uses to keep active ....
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

ChrisF wrote:now this is getting interesting ... :siffler: :subscribed:

TAX - every single person spending money in SA pays tax !! Dont forget the tax on everyday stuff such as sigarettes, "dop", etc etc .... And then on top of that most items carry a VAT fee as well.

Granted, sods like me pay handsomely on my salary. But that does not mean the "poor" (or cheats) gets to pay "no tax" ....

Would LOVE a much lower base salary tax and a much higher VAT .... maar wie wil dan die voters upset ....

now back to the chinese .....

- quality - some industries REFUSE to use chinese stuff, especially life safety applications. Purely because of the INCONSISTENCIES in chinese "quality" .... Most certainly their quality seems better now than a few years back. But still way too many items comes broken out of the box .... Let's just say it is an item in progress - to improve their quality. Who remembers when we joked about "made in Taiwan". At first the quality was not great, but soon it was up to par ... but late 90's the current regime booted out Taiwan in fovour of their long lost friends in china.

- "copy" - it is a well documented FACT that the chinese has NO REGARD for intelectual property and blatantly steals designs from anybody and everybody. And WE support this criminal behaviour by buying from them !!! The only problem with this statement - as the end user we dont always know what was "made under license" and what is no more than a Land Wind THEFT of intelectual property. The irony is that the chinese now moan that other countries are stealing their "ideas" ....

- tribal customs - uhm ja ..... each and every country has their silly habits ..... WE certainly are NOT in a position to point a finger at any other, not with a fearless leader that rapes his friends daughter while having a kraal, we paid for, full of wives .... wonder what he uses to keep active ....
That would be the rhino horn he got from his "associates"
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

ChrisF wrote:REALLY not cool the way Land Rover copied the prestidges Land Wind design !!
:lmao:
good one...

took me about 10 min to read thru this thread... i was stuck on first bit about china have quality watchdog.. my mind just boggled and froze
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

My Business Partner has just spent a week in Shenzen, China, as a guest of Hytera Digital Radios, the second-largest two-way radio manufactuere in the World. Looking at the photos of the factories (there are five multi-storey buildings dedicated to the product) and also his photos of Shenzen, was a real eye-opener. We can only dream of such efficiency and cleanliness here in SA.
Hytera MD655 Digital-Analog Radio (R).jpg
While there certainly are dubious products being manufactured by the Chinese, there are also excellent world-class products being designed and manufactured in China.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Family_Dog wrote:While there certainly are dubious products being manufactured by the Chinese, there are also excellent world-class products being designed and manufactured in China.

-F_D
Eric that seems to be the problem. You and Pieter TEST stuff before selling it on. then we have a measure of re-assurance.

But one would be silly to ignore the reality that SOME stuff from there is utter rubbish.

should they be able to consistantly provide decent to excellent products .... well then I would have to re-think my standard reply ...

As a person with some copyrighted items I am understandably NOT impressed with their business ethics - but that is a totally different topic to quality.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Chris, this is ture. I am totally sold on the Hytera & Kirisun product range. We have just supplied our local Disaster & Risk Management Team a Kirisun Digital radio system

Here is the pic I was looking for earlier - this pic is simply Hytera's Head Office in Shenzhen, they have three similar buildings for the factory and then a fourth dedicated to R&D. Junior has photos of the interior of this building, it is VERY impressive, looking more like a modern Mall than a factory or HO.
Hytera HO.jpg
Of Hytera's employees, 20% hold Masters Degrees, 79% hold other University degrees while 1% only have formal education. These are obviously the Cleaners etc.

I will post a pic of Kirisun Offices in Shenzhen later, they are equally impressive!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Open Discussion”