Tyre size help please

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Cabmaster
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2015 Toyota Hilux D4-D 4x4 SRX, Metalian Canopy, Full OME Suspension Kit, Good Year Wrangler AT/SA, 15" Rims, R&D Rock Sliders, Dastek Unichip, Airlift air bag suspension.

Tyre size help please

Post by Cabmaster »

Hi Guys,

I have a Hilux SRX that came with 205/80/16 as standard.
I recently changed the rims to 15" and the tyres to 245/75/15.

I straight away noticed that the vehicle has less power, obviously due to the gearing not being compatible with the new tyre. To be perfectly honest, it irritates me so much that I want to go back to the 205's.

However, I am considering changing them to the 235/75/15 as the diameter is exactly the same as the original tyre, just 30mm wider.

My question is, will this give me back the original power my Hilux had with the 205's? I can understand that it wont be exactly the same as although the tyre is the same height, it is still slightly wider.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Tyre size help please

Post by The Legend »

Please correct me if I am wrong.There is no difference in tyre high between the 245/75/15 and the 235/75/15 tyres.You will still have the same power.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Cabmaster
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2015 Toyota Hilux D4-D 4x4 SRX, Metalian Canopy, Full OME Suspension Kit, Good Year Wrangler AT/SA, 15" Rims, R&D Rock Sliders, Dastek Unichip, Airlift air bag suspension.

Post by Cabmaster »

Yes there is a difference. The 235/75/15 works out to be the same diameter as the 205/80/16.
The 245/75/15 is taller than both.
antlo69
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria North
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D, leveling kit, 17" with A/T BFg's, sadly stil some Tupperware, wish list growing by the day

Post by antlo69 »

Cabmaster, I have send some charts to your Whatsapp. Have a look
"Must be a Toyota, must be a diesel and must run on BFG's"
Cabmaster
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Cabmaster »

Thanks, received.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”