Hilux Carbs vs Weber or EFI

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Hilux 2.2 4y double Cab 4x4

Hilux Carbs vs Weber or EFI

Post by LoneRanger »

Hi Guys, just need a question answered re standard Toyota carb or replacing it with a Weber,
Which one will give me better consuption :?: or should I rather look at going to EFI

Thanks guys
My Toys - and freedom
Old man emu suspension,snorkel,PowerFlow exhaust and branch,burnco bumpers front and back, burnco aluminium canopy,awning, 31" Bridgestone A/T,dual battery system, long range fuel tank and water tank and rear lockers.
1100cc Honda Blackbird 2002
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Hilux Carbs vs Weber or EFI

Post by CasKru »

Turbob wrote:Hi Guys, just need a question answered re standard Toyota carb or replacing it with a Weber,
Which one will give me better consuption :?: or should I rather look at going to EFI

Thanks guys
If you can, EFI is king
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Barry, EFi is the way to go... but it's also by way far the most expensive option... I'm not a fan of the weber option, had a 38 weber on my van previously... landed up put the original carb back on... then went the efi route... so for me it's either EFi or the original Aisan/Nikki carb!

I live in Brackenfell... see u r in Kraaifontein... if u want to experience the difference between carb and efi... you are welcome to take my lux for a spin! Just PM me!

mr b :thumbup:
LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LoneRanger »

Thank Brenton - as soon as I get my engine finished I will give you a buzz - redoing the complete engine from top to bottom - bought it with a anoying sound in the motor.
My Toys - and freedom
Old man emu suspension,snorkel,PowerFlow exhaust and branch,burnco bumpers front and back, burnco aluminium canopy,awning, 31" Bridgestone A/T,dual battery system, long range fuel tank and water tank and rear lockers.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Cool Barry... if u interested I can give u some tips on rebuilding a 4Y... did mine about a year ago...

mr b
LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LoneRanger »

Cool - Anything that is a defnit don't do will be appreciatted - My old man is a motor mac and he basicly just tells me what to do - i'm a computer techy - go figure :lol:
Attachments
IMAG0076.jpg
My Toys - and freedom
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hey I'm a PC techie and programmer too...

If you replace the hydraulic lifters get the high RPM ones for the Chev V8, they fit the 4Y, cost a fraction of the Toy originals and are very good quality

If you replace the pistons... get decent quality replacements like KS... don't waste your time with cheapies...

If you replace the rings... get the originals from Toy... or if too expensive Alert Engine Spares sells original Toy rings as well for alot cheaper... make sure that the top ring is mild steel... not chromed... 2nd ring can be chromed... chromed top ring on a 4Y doesn't work well... blow-by

If you need to rebore the block... rather have the block bored and sleeved back to original spec... the 4Y uses a short skirt piston... a bored out block tends to get piston slap earlier in it's life than the sleeved block with original pistons...

If you want to put a warmer cam in don't get a standard brospeed cam... rather go to Malcolm of MasterCams and get a re-degreed brospeed type cam... which maintains low end torque, while giving the extra grunt at higher RPM, unlike the std brospeed which gives extra grunt at the expense of low end torque...

Do a search for start-up/running-in procedures... theres alot of helpful tips on how best to start-up the engine the first time, and how to run it in properly!

mr b
Hannes.S
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: 11
Vehicle: 111

Post by Hannes.S »

Hi Barry

Nice lux! :thumbup:
Is yours the 4y or 22r?
And how is the performance with the carb and 33' tyres?

Hannes
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi Bretton,

What are KS pistons? Price?

I asked an engineering place for a quote on sleeving my old engine, they said I should just bore it bigger, they didn't even want to listen to my reasons for sleeving :thumbdown:

Can I buy a camshaft from Commercial and then reprofile it, or should I rather try and get a Toyota one?

How do I know if my old engine had the camshaft reprofiled? (It was fitted with a brospeed exhaust, raising the odds of having the cam done...) Engine braking was not too hot on this engine, and it idled quite high (going down Van Zyl's pass I stalled the engine a couple of times by braking too much)

What are my risks reconditioning the old engine - done around 360k km. Can the block break? I would like to rebore, sleeve, replace pistons, big end bearings, etc.
RustyRod wrote:Hey I'm a PC techie and programmer too...

If you replace the hydraulic lifters get the high RPM ones for the Chev V8, they fit the 4Y, cost a fraction of the Toy originals and are very good quality

If you replace the pistons... get decent quality replacements like KS... don't waste your time with cheapies...

If you replace the rings... get the originals from Toy... or if too expensive Alert Engine Spares sells original Toy rings as well for alot cheaper... make sure that the top ring is mild steel... not chromed... 2nd ring can be chromed... chromed top ring on a 4Y doesn't work well... blow-by

If you need to rebore the block... rather have the block bored and sleeved back to original spec... the 4Y uses a short skirt piston... a bored out block tends to get piston slap earlier in it's life than the sleeved block with original pistons...

If you want to put a warmer cam in don't get a standard brospeed cam... rather go to Malcolm of MasterCams and get a re-degreed brospeed type cam... which maintains low end torque, while giving the extra grunt at higher RPM, unlike the std brospeed which gives extra grunt at the expense of low end torque...

Do a search for start-up/running-in procedures... theres alot of helpful tips on how best to start-up the engine the first time, and how to run it in properly!

mr b
LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LoneRanger »

Hey Hannes

Mine is the 4y (3y crank though - which I understand are identical)
Can't actually say what the performance is like only went once with the previous owner to a 4x4 challenge - but did not drive it. I will let you know as soon as it is on the road. :clap:
My Toys - and freedom
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

KS = Kolbenschmidt of Germany... http://www.kspg-ag.de/index.php?fid=1093&lang=3

They are top quality aftermarket pistons at a reasonable price!

Barry... contact Allan Venter... 072 129 1160... he is a Toyota 4x4 guru... ask him who does the his engineering... they sleeve engines for Allan

MasterCams supplied me the complete cut cam + nitrided... for about 1K.. let Malcolm take a look at your cam... they are in Stikland Indst...

There are guys that have had good experiences with the Chinese/Korean 4Y knock-offs... F_D and DadzToy on the forum... and many with bad experiences... some guys prefer rebuilding there old 4Y's... I prefer rebuilding the original Toy engine... but it depends on the condition of the block... like the water channels, whether it's still within serviceable spec limits... etc.

mr b :wink:
Wild Style
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kuilsriver - CT
Vehicle: Hilux 2200 SFA 4x4

Post by Wild Style »

Hi Bretton
I fitted a 1800 VW Golf carb on my 4Y but never manged to get it going properly. I replaced a few jets and refitted the original carb. She is running nicely but I would like to have the carb and settings checked by someone who is knowlegable and have the proper equipment. Can you recommend someone here in the Cape.
Thanks,
H
LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LoneRanger »

Hey Mr B, I got told today that the GWM has a 4y motor 'with EFI' so I should just be able to do a straight swap of my brospeed and carb to the gwm's intake and EFI???? :?:

Does anyone else know about this or have you guys done it yet :thumbup:
My Toys - and freedom
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The GWM has a fong kong 4y, but you should be able to use the intake / plenum and fuel rails. I would first check and see what kind of injectors they are using .... would'nt trust the chinese ones too much, but they may be using Bosch or something more reliable that's sourced here, since the vehicles are locally built. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

How reliable are the Delphi injectors?
Mud Dog wrote:The GWM has a fong kong 4y, but you should be able to use the intake / plenum and fuel rails. I would first check and see what kind of injectors they are using .... would'nt trust the chinese ones too much, but they may be using Bosch or something more reliable that's sourced here, since the vehicles are locally built. :think:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Jaco, as far as I know they're OK, but let's see what the guys that are more clued up on EFI have to say. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”