help - another missfire / splutter

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Lane
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Shepstone - KZN
Vehicle: 97 Hilux 2.4 D/C Raider

help - another missfire / splutter

Post by Lane »

hi guys
my 97 2.4 sfa has a missfire / splutter between 3000 & 4000 rpm (when using a heavy foot) also i was towing a trailer with 2x bikes and driving through the george with a mate following me and he said there was black smoke (i cant see it when driving). i have given her a full service, changed the plug leads, cleaned carb & been for tuning twice. any ideas? :boredom:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: help - another missfire / splutter

Post by Stef »

Zane (Maddoglips) mentioned somewhere that it was his choke that didn't work properly due to a wire not connected, also had the black smoke...

Mine makes a funny grunting noise between 2500 & 3000 rpm; still trying to figure it out....
Lane
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Lane »

Stef wrote:Zane (Maddoglips) mentioned somewhere that it was his choke that didn't work properly due to a wire not connected, also had the black smoke...

Mine makes a funny grunting noise between 2500 & 3000 rpm; still trying to figure it out....
thanks, i did read that and will investigate, will let all know if i find out more
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Stef wrote:Zane (Maddoglips) mentioned somewhere that it was his choke that didn't work properly due to a wire not connected, also had the black smoke...

It was actually my vehicle doing that. :mrgreen:

Problem was solved when I realized one of my wires wasn't connected back after installing a Bosch altenator.

Had the exact same symtoms.

The wire that was feeding power to one of the solenoids was not connected, and my choke butterfly was 85% closed, thus vehicle running actually on your choke…..

To fix it, check all your solenoids by connecting your carb straight to your battery positive and check each solenoid. You will hear it making a clicking sound when active.

Also check your butterfly (choke) when removing your airfilter when the vehicle is running normal temperature. It should be open….

Problem solved. Got all my power back and NO more smoking!!!!

Regards,
Thomas
Sent from my iPhone
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: OK.. so it was the other PE guy... :lol: also glad to hear it was the vehicle's choke.... :twisted:
Lane
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Lane »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:

Problem was solved when I realized one of my wires wasn't connected back after installing a Bosch altenator.

Had the exact same symtoms.

The wire that was feeding power to one of the solenoids was not connected, and my choke butterfly was 85% closed, thus vehicle running actually on your choke…..

To fix it, check all your solenoids by connecting your carb straight to your battery positive and check each solenoid. You will hear it making a clicking sound when active.

Also check your butterfly (choke) when removing your airfilter when the vehicle is running normal temperature. It should be open….

Problem solved. Got all my power back and NO more smoking!!!!

Regards,
Thomas
:thumbup: will check it out, thank you! :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”