1992 Hilux 4x4 D/C 2.2 petrol

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
willie55
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 1992 toyota D/C 2.2

1992 Hilux 4x4 D/C 2.2 petrol

Post by willie55 »

Hi all,
My first time I am posting on the forum. I bought this vehicle a week ago for R 51,000.00 but the petrol consumption will bankrupt me 4.8km/l in town can some-one please tell me if this is the norm or do I need to get the engine checked-out. Your reply will be appreciated.
illie
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 1992 Hilux 4x4 D/C 2.2 petrol

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Willie,

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds as though you may have a new "Chinese" 4Y engine fitted to your Hilux. Nothing wrong with the engine, but plenty wrong with the Chinese carb!!! First of all, the jets in the Chinese carbs are wrong and it is not simply a matter of re-jetting, the threads are all cockeye and not standard. So the options are to get the carb modified (drill out the thread, tap new threads) or to replace the carb. I went through this exercise and fitted a Weber 36 which gave some performance gain as well as slightly improved fuel economy, from less than 5km/litre to nearly 6km/l. But I had an issue with the weber running dry when trying to overcome a steep incline.

A certain mate of mine here in this forum twisted my arm to fit an EFI kit to the 4Y, and the process detailing this is on this forum under "Useful Articles", as well as the preliminary discussions leading to the decision. We finished the project a few days after starting it, but it was our intention to get the best possible performance from this conversion, and hence we decided on adjusting the timing electronically through the ECU rather than the distributor. This unfortunately delayed our final project for many weeks as we had to first wait to get the necessary parts imported from Germany, and then because we decided to improve upon the product that was originally supplied to us. The lesson learnt from this is to stick to the distributor timing method and only use the ECU for the EFI operation, although I believe one would probably be able to get all the parts easier now that we know just where to obtain same.

The bakkie (Bulldog) will shortly be going for its dynatune for final optimisation of the settings but already there is a marked improvement in performance and fuel consumption is bound to improve as well.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

willie55

Post by willie55 »

Thanks F_D

Will check it out. But I seem to think that the carb is a Nikki. Will let you know I find that the motor goes ok on level ground but uphill it's like the old beetles that you had to put a cloth over the headlights so that you could get over the hill. The motor has been "done up" as per the previous owner. Maybe it is a few setting that must be adjusted. There is also a pterol smell when I open the bonnet. Cannot see any leaks or petrol lying about the carb.

Willie55
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Willie,

We are fortunate that Lindsay has just joined the forum. He fitted a Golf 1800 carb into his Hilux a few years ago, and seems to have suffered none of the problems we get when fitting Webers (loss of power when on steep inclines). Now, we just have to ask him (please Lindsay!) to do a write-up on how it was done, and most importantly, where to obtain the adaptor plate. I tried to get one from Midas and Carb City, but no luck there. It might have been purposely made.

This is a relatively cheap, and effective, conversion. I remember Lindsay mentioning excellent fuel consumption figures that he obtained on the old SA4x4 forum.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Hi willie,welkom to the forum.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Willie

Welcome to the forum :!: Another P.E. member :mrgreen: we must all get to gether some time :!: :!: :!:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

High fuel consumption on a vehicle can be cause by a number of reasons:
1. Dirty air cleaner element
2. Incorreclty adjusted carb, can be too rich.
3. Big tyres fitted to your vehicle.
4. Roof top tents and roof racks, cause drag wind resistance.
5. Compression down
6. Your driving style.
7. Maybe the speedo is out of configuration, check it with a GPS.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Some other causes:

Timming out of ajustment
brakes binding slightly
choke sticking in (would also cause hard starting when hot)
Vacume advance not working properly
weights in dizzy faulty (broken or worn return springs)
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
willie55

Post by willie55 »

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I will check out the settings and give some feedback as soon as I can. The reason I bought the above vehicle is a car carrier tried to write my wife off on the M4 in P.E. (1998 2.8DT D/C 2x4) the insurance company could not get bodyparts for the vehicle and wanted to either pay me out or give me the wreck and pay out the difference. I opted for the second option and bought the vehicle (2.8DT D/C) in running condition for R21,000.00 biggest damage is to the c-post on drivers side so the above D/C (1992) cost me
R 3,000.00+(insurance pay-out). I am busy fixing te other D/C (1998 2x4 2.8DT) for my wife as I get 10Km/l in town with it. I will browse the forum to get some info on twicks etc.
I will also appreciate it if Lindsey can give us the info on the 1800 carb and fitting instructions.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Some branches and a free flow exhaust system will also help, however you could consider fuel injecting the vehicle, you will have to keep it for a long time to make up for the costs envolved to pay back the fuel saved.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Willie,

In case you never saw it, Lindsay has posted this:
the 1800 conversion is pretty simple. It has given me an unbelievable power increase and much better fuel consumption( 10km/l on the open road and about 8km/l in town. I used to get 6 on the open road). I built my own adaptor plate but there are places that actually sell them. The carb must be the original old type of golf 1800. midas ones do not work. most of the taxis in PE are doing the conversion to save fuel and boost power and it works really well
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2080&p=20826#p20826

-F_D

Return to “The Workshop”