Hilux 2.2 4Y - Grunt, load, ability

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
avanza
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Hilux 2.2 4Y - Grunt, load, ability

Post by avanza »

I bought a very clean SFA 2.2 4Y Original. No leaks, no problems. Only 2 owners.

I planned to do some trips of which I have done plenty before. Did not happen.
Since I had it (just over 2 years) I have driven it on sand, same track(about 3 KM) TWICE. No problems. She seemed to handle it ok?Only time she has gone 4x4 besides when I had to test a hill near my home or when I got locked into a certain car park and had to drive out by the stairs :dance1:

I am concerned that this 2.2l wont handle being laden and thick sand, sandy hills, mud, etc because of her lack of power. or does the torque make up for it. I am more an overlander than a 4x4 freak. I use 4x4 to get me places if I need.
Can anybody advise on whether this SFA with a 2.2 actually has the grunt to handle Botswana and thick sand, or steep scary passes or down/uphills?

Please advise
Thanks in advance.
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Re: Hilux 2.2 4Y - Grunt, load, ability

Post by Scott »

I have family in Botswana and my cousin has had a 4y in a hilux for many years as a work horse and does load it.The 4y will get you there but on long uphills it does slow you down.If you have the patience the 4y or 2L(2.4 diesel)are the best.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The 4Y is often underestimated because of it's so called 'sluggishness' on the open road, but it's a fairly mean motor when it gets down to the nitty gritty. If you're going to be dune chasing, it's nowhere near ideal ... just hasn't got the legs, but for the rest, depending on how heavily laden and how thick the sand / mud, it'll get you there.

For over-landing, the next best option IMO would be a diesel .... the D4D motors are great, but need low sulphur 50ppm fuel ... not always available ... and they're pricey conversions. The Ford / Mazda 2.5 WL motor conversion on the other hand is much more affordable and although also should use 50ppm fuel, is not too finicky about it.

In your shoes I would get the 4Y properly set up (tuned), load it up and go do some test runs close to home before considering a conversion .... you have a lot of sandy places down your way to be used as testing grounds. L4 2nd gear should get you almost anywhere you want ..... L4 1st gear only for the more challenging terrain.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

Post by Sven »

I've done a few trips in Botswana, Namibia and Zambia through thick mud, sand and practically floods and the 4y worked like a charm, remember, you only turning the wheels, thick mud you don't want to be gunning it either in a straight line, but for over landing my only concern was the comfort level, swopped with a friend with a fj80 and could not believe how smooth it felt while I bounce around like mad over bumps
. Other then that, unless you want to get from jhb to Nata or Kasane in a day then I still think it's perfect to almost anything.
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”