Gearmax diff ring and pinion swap

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 96' Hilux Raider 2.4 4x4 SC, 12' Mitsubishi PJS 3.2 4x4

Gearmax diff ring and pinion swap

Post by raider »

Gents,

Can I swap my rear ring&pinion from a local Gearmax M80 diff (SFA Shape) into the rear Gearmax diff of the IFS shape? What code diff did they come with M8??

I want to buy a local diff with diff-loc from the IFS shape but most are only 4.55 ratio and I need 4.88.

Regards.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Re: Gearmax diff ring and pinion swap

Post by Dingo »

Why don't you just buy a diff loc-kit and fit it into the existing diff?? You would use your original ring and pinion, so ratios wont be an issue.

I paid around R4' for mine about 18 months back.

What are you paying for the IFS diff??
vanthev8man
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: wellington
Vehicle: 81 hilux 350,80 vx landcruiser,650 bombardier.

Post by vanthev8man »

scott is right - you only need the carrier,alu cover,switch,vacuum solenoid and some piping and wiring.

i will supply for R4500 ex vat or install for R6000 plus vat.

remember if you diy there is a chance of loosing your c&p if it is not setup correctly.
hilux sfa -the only real 4x4!
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

You can. The pricing on that will be +/- R4000 rand for the crownwheel and pinion. Just ask if it include the bearings too, you can get it as a kit aswell. I suggest you contact Gearmax.
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 96' Hilux Raider 2.4 4x4 SC, 12' Mitsubishi PJS 3.2 4x4

Post by raider »

My intention was to run 30mm spacers on all fours, but since the IFS rear diff is +-60mm wider than the SFA rear diff I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone by buying a 2nd hand diff with diff-loc and just install spacers at the front.

Looks like its better to just have a diff-loc installed in my original diff and have new parts and a guarantee. Then I can just install spacers.

Thanks Gents
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

What would one need to do in order to fit diff-lock on an imported diff?
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

swartvark wrote:What would one need to do in order to fit diff-lock on an imported diff?
You can fit a TrueTrack or Detroit locker, but they are non selective - kicks in and out on it's own. Otherwise you would have to go the ARB route (better option), though as nails but equally pricey - works off compressed air with it's own little compressor. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Thanx Andy.....

I was once told that fitting a locker on my Front diff would work out cheaper and works just as well..?
What is your opinion on this statement?

Tiaan.

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The statement is true if you fit a Detroit TrueTrack type non-selectable locker. As for it working just as well is a matter of opinion .... for the most part I would say so, but being auto engage, you cannot pre select it, it will only engage once a certain amount of slipping occurs and at time one wants to avoid slipping, both from an environment preservation aspect and also from the point of view that if your obstacle requires a bit of revs it will result in a bit of a strenuous shock to the rest of the diff when it suddenly kicks in. The odd time here and there might not be significant but I have to wonder about the long term result. A less significant aspect is that at other times one doesn't want to loose traction at all (steep and potentially slippery obstacle) and the locker will only kick in once you have already lost traction .... minor point in most instances, but it's still a factor.

A limited slip diff in the front and rear is also not a bad option and one can get the carriers for LSD to fit the import diffs, but they're not lockers as such and you're still subject to the same conditions as mentioned above, just less / no shock when it engages (more gradual). Might be an even cheaper option.

Next time you see Allan, ask him what he feels about the different options ... if money's no object, do the ARB.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Tiaan the guys are fitting Vigo center portions to the SFA import diffs,I ran into a guy buying one for a V8 conversion that he was busy with the ratio's should be correct and you get diff lock with it.
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Thanks. I'll check out the cost of these options.

I was always under the impression that the detroit lockers are Always engaged and would allow slip when you are turning?

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Scott wrote:Tiaan the guys are fitting Vigo center portions to the SFA import diffs,I ran into a guy buying one for a V8 conversion that he was busy with the ratio's should be correct and you get diff lock with it.
In that case I would rather fit the KZ diff ... the gearing would be more suited to the lexus depending on what tyre size you have. Only thing with the Toyota lockers is the electric motor actuators, the system tends to give a few hassles from time to time - actuator motor needs to be cleaned and serviced every now and then - otherwise a good locker.

swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Mud Dog wrote:
Scott wrote:Tiaan the guys are fitting Vigo center portions to the SFA import diffs,I ran into a guy buying one for a V8 conversion that he was busy with the ratio's should be correct and you get diff lock with it.
In that case I would rather fit the KZ diff ... the gearing would be more suited to the lexus depending on what tyre size you have. Only thing with the Toyota lockers is the electric motor actuators, the system tends to give a few hassles from time to time - actuator motor needs to be cleaned and serviced every now and then - otherwise a good locker.

Aaaahhh..........that sounds like a plan......... :thumbup: I recall that Hoppy told me to replace my diff with the KZ one when it breaks..........I've been abusing Swartvark for 7years now, 3 years with V8, but the diff just doesn't wanna break. :evil: :evil: ...........Seems like I'll have to put in more of an effort. :twisted:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com

Return to “The Workshop”