Heatgauge: Something slightly amusing

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Heatgauge: Something slightly amusing

Post by King Rat »

My heat gauge almost acts like a vacuum gauge in that in acceleration it moves upwards and when slowing down it correspondingly moves downwards. :eh: Stopping a robot or stop street it again returns upwards. Standing still and revving the engine makes no difference.
Constant speed on the highway also keeps it in the upward range. Any explanation?
:wth:
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Heatgauge: Something slightly amusing

Post by Mr_B »

Sounds like some sort of earth leakage... check the connection on the sender unit! Also check that the main earth connection on the block in clean, tight and corrosion free... Is it possible that the sender unit could be faulty?

All non electrical(mechanical) possiblities are too scary to discuss!

B
JBurger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: ......
Vehicle: .....

Post by JBurger »

King Rat wrote:My heat gauge almost acts like a vacuum gauge in that in acceleration it moves upwards and when slowing down it correspondingly moves downwards. :eh: Stopping a robot or stop street it again returns upwards. Standing still and revving the engine makes no difference.
Constant speed on the highway also keeps it in the upward range. Any explanation?
:wth:
You still driving the V6? The gauge is saying that under power, you have an immediate increase in heat build up and when you take your foot off, the cooling is significant. Can this be a correct indication, meaning that that the regulator is stuck open, or worse, partly closed? Revving the motor does not seem to have any effect, possibly due to realtively 'correct/optimum' fuel air mixture, as opposed to being under power when you have a large throttle opening and high boost with not the same amount of cooling due to increased engine/fan speed?

Very strange, please tell us if you have found the problem..
Image ImageImage
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by King Rat »

Ja, still driving the V6. I checked the engine and it uses almost no oil(valve guides leaking as per usual Ford) and still purring nicely. It doesn’t come close to overheating and the oil temp stays constantly good. So I guess Bretton is probably right in the earth leakage scenario. But, as usual for these radiators, it's leaking slightly so that could also play a role :?

And if it’s mechanical and cataclysmic it will cost me 5 grand to overhaul so nae worries mate :D:
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

I have the same problem with my V6 as well, let me know because I have tried everything and gave. up I just put a piece on duct tape over the gage.
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

I had a similar problem in my lux. Soon as the revs went up for any length of time the heat gauge would climb. Stop and idle and the gauge dropped quickly.

After many sleepness nights, it turned out to be a faulty regulator. The regulator was pusing out almost 17 volts at high revs. Replaced the regulator and the problem went away.
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by King Rat »

No no no Darryl, that's no way to solve a problem :lol: :twisted:

I'll check out the regulator Jonathan, must just find the thing :oops:
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Coenie

The problem may just be that you have a proper working guage. :twisted: :twisted: Hilux heat gauges are known to show no movement of the needle for quite a big fluctuation of water temperature. It might be a case of an electrical problem (like the 17V regulator) making the needle more sensitive the normal.

On Cassie's 22R we saw that while driving and switching on the engine parameter measurement graph in the Dicktator program the line for water temperature moved up and down in relation with the Manifold Vacuum line, so as you stepped on the throttle the heat went up and as you took your foot off it fell immediately. This all happened while the heat gauge did not move a notch.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

King Rat wrote:No no no Darryl, that's no way to solve a problem :lol: :twisted:

I'll check out the regulator Jonathan, must just find the thing :oops:

The VR pushing out nearly 17v is going to cause many problems, including blown headlights, all other lights, bulging battery, blown electronics. You need to change it immediately. Check to see that your battery is not bulging because of over-charge.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I tend to think it's a regulator problem as well, but it's important to fix that radiator. Cooling is improved significantly if the coolant is pressurised (which happens naturally with heat expansion), but if there is any leak the pressure dissipates. On average, engine coolant water without additives in a leak free system only begins to boil at 106 to 108 deg. C, as opposed to 100 deg. at sea level atmospheric pressure. Therefore if you are inland without adequate pressure containment, the problem is worse. You'd be surprised how quickly you can boil out all the coolant if it gets to that stage. Anti-freeze is also a must, besides increasing the boiling point, it lubricates the pump bearings and helps to control rust / corrosion in the cooling system.

You probably know all this already, just a reminder to get it done. :D
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by King Rat »

Checked out the regulator and it's charging at about 13,5V. You guys had me worried there!

Thanx for the advise Andy, I must get the radiator fixed, I've been busy building another car and have been lazy. In my own experience with these older type radiators I've had them leaking when cold but sealing when on normal operating temp on most of my older model cars for some strange reason. Probably they expand and retract and small cracks tend to appear eventually.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

King Rat wrote:I must get the radiator fixed
Gooi eier of kerrie... dan ruik jou Hilux soos brekfis... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Surprisingly those remedies actually work for a short period, .... often long enough to get you home.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”