Questions about Diff Lock

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Questions about Diff Lock

Post by GTO »

Last year I asked you guys about my diff lock that I thought wasn't working(light doesnt stop flashing).The answer I got was that there has to be a difference between the the rotational speed of the two wheels to engage the diff lock.
I have tried it a few times in sand but the light doesnt stop flashing. :?
This last weekend I did a trail with some steep rocky ascents, I engaged 2nd gear low range and diff lock before atempting the hill. I made it up alright but the light didnt stop flashing?

Last night I jacked up the bakkie with one wheel off the ground engaged low range and left her in neutral.The wheel spins freely but when I switch the diff lock switch on I can hear the solenoid operating and if I try and spin the wheel I can hear a click as the diff lock engages and then the wheel is impossible to turn.So it must be working I just dont understand why the light doesnt stop flashing(owners manual says once the light stops flashing the diff lock is engaged)?
2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Questions about Diff Lock

Post by Mr_B »

I take it there is a send unit to set the lights display... this sender unit may be faulty/disconnected... check the wires first!

B
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C
Club VHF Licence: N019

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

GTO
First, was the diff ever worked on? If so it might have been assembled incorrectly

You can have a look at the diff-lock actuator/Motor it has some sort of limit system like a wiper motor. You can also look at the plug connections on the diff side I will see if I can get some pick or drawing some ware and post it here.

Okkie
123 WEG MP
2011 Hilux Vigo 3.0 D4D D/C
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
JBurger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: ......
Vehicle: .....

Post by JBurger »

What's Toyota got to say about this? :?: I would never go for so long without insisting they fix it. :? I know it is sometimes nicer to be able to fix niggles yourself, but with this type of problem, I would be in their faces. :evil: Confirm the diff lock is a standard fit? Reading these type of threads, I always get the impression that in this case, Toyota, must be a terrible brand if owners have to put up with faults as they (Toyota) are unable to maintain their product(s) in working order. :confused: :?: What am I missing? How come owners are stuck with this type of niggle for such long periods? If I was selling a vehicle to the public, I would ensure I am able to answer all their questions regarding the vehicle I sold them and that they are maintained in tip-top shape. Good image for the brand.. :?: :?:
Image ImageImage
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

Thats gearmax for you.

Return to “The Workshop”