Confederation Cup 2009

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Dadz Toy BFI

Confederation Cup 2009

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Well Done to Bafana Bafana for an outstanding performance in the 2009 Confederation Cup. :clap: :clap:

They matched Brazil (The World Number 1 Soccer Team) for 88 mins in the Semi Final at Ellis Park tonight; no mean feat :!: :!:

the World Number 1 team was seriously found wanting before they scored the decider from a free kick. :shock:

The South African team can take great pride from their performance, a massive Glogal Audience is watching this tournament, otherwise known as:

The World Cup Dress Rehearsals. :D:

Great to see a National Team play their hearts out for the full duration and rightfully making the Nations majority proud as punch

Well done Boyz :thumbup:
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Datsun & Nissan 4x4

Re: Confederation Cup 2009

Post by Engel »

well said and agree, and even usa giving spain a go!
For anything offroad: herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Pofadder recovery kits @ wholesale prices
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Rich I thought Spain was ranked no.1 and Brazil number 5
Nonetheless a surprizing performance, I heard it said amonst all the praises for Bafana that we need to stop celebrating losses .... hmmm :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

not being an avid soccer supporter, I was quite surprised they made it this far :shock:
and I thought last night was going to a one sided, embarrassing scoreline match.

I take my hat off to them....

But pls don't let USA win... we'll never hear the end of it
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Bartho
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Bartho »

Common, u guys are not serious :roll:

Are you seriously telling me that you don't know that this Brazillian team is "watered down" ?

This Brazillian team does not feature their top 4/5 international players.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Bartho wrote:Common, u guys are not serious :roll:

Are you seriously telling me that you don't know that this Brazilian team is "watered down" ?

This Brazilian team does not feature their top 4/5 international players.

Sorry, I don't share your Opinion Bartho :crazy:

Neither do any of the creditable Sports Critics :?

Your pessimism astounds me, but hey you're entitled to your opinion, so cool enol :wink:
Bartho
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bartho »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Bartho wrote:Common, u guys are not serious :roll:

Are you seriously telling me that you don't know that this Brazilian team is "watered down" ?

This Brazilian team does not feature their top 4/5 international players.

Sorry, I don't share your Opinion Bartho :crazy:

Neither do any of the creditable Sports Critics :?

Your pessimism astounds me, but hey you're entitled to your opinion, so cool enol :wink:
Don't be so quick to judge other people, when they themselves feel they are being objective in their opinion.
Please allow me to have an opinion, based on facts, of my own.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Moes hulle seker n hele paar Rand gekos het :twisted:
ImageImage
Bartho
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bartho »

Julle mense verstaan nie :think:

Ek self wil he ons moet die sokker wen. Maar realiteit moet ons in die oe staar. Springbokke (Bulls) kan dit doen. Krieket choke die ouens. Sokker, wat ons ook wil he en wat hul kan doen is twee verskillende dinge.
Bartho
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bartho »

Here is an article relating to what I am saying: http://www.aol.co.nz/news/story/Brazil- ... index.html

These guys have truly not included their top players.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Bartho wrote:Here is an article relating to what I am saying: http://www.aol.co.nz/news/story/Brazil- ... index.html

These guys have truly not included their top players.
I don't see how this dated (pre-tournament) article relates to what you're saying :?

If one reflects up on the current and main line sports media appraisals one can appreciate the magnitude of Bafana Bafana's achievement and that of the Country in Organising the Confed Cup thus indicating the countries 2010 readiness.

Astounding really, fantastic PR for RSA, fantastic for African Soccer, I'm very proud to be South African today :thumbup:
Bartho
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Bartho »

I give up - you win 8 )
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Bartho wrote:I give up - you win 8 )
Nie Man, RSA are the Winners :wink:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

dalkill wrote:............I take my hat off to them....

But pls don't let USA win... we'll never hear the end of it
I share your sentiment there Shaakir, this surely has been a Competition full of surprises. :shock: :o:

Theoretically Brazil "should win" given their pedigree and formidable line up but the USA are playing with seamless teamwork and determination and at the end of the day you can have the best players, the best coach etc,, but the best team always win hey.

My heart says Brazil, let's hope its a great game.

The Play Offs; Spain and RSA - I wouldn't like to call that one; best of luck Bafana Bafana :thumbup:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Over all performance to be proud of, well done Bafana Bafana :thumbup:

Deffinately 2010 ready :mrgreen:

Spain Inch Out Bafana Bafana after 120mins
Article By: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:08
Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso scored off a free kick to give Spain a dramatic 3-2 extra-time victory over South Africa on Sunday in the Confederations Cup third place play-off.

A largely incident-less game sprang to life late in the second half when Bafana Bafana (The Boys) striker Katlego Mphela scored only for another substitute, Daniel Guiza, to strike twice for Spain within 60 seconds.

Mphela struck again three minutes into stoppage time to add 30 minutes on to the match and Spain took the lead again to defeat the host nation for the second time in nine days after a 2-0 group win.

The host nation made one change from the team that held Brazil until two minutes from full-time in the semi-finals with suspended midfield 'enforcer' MacBeth Sibaya back in place of Benson Mhlongo.

Spain reacted to a shock defeat by the United States in the first semi-final with four changes as Raul Albiol, Sergio Busquets, Alvaro Arbeloa and Santi Cazorla came in and Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas was among those rested.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter was present on a sunny winter afternoon in the north-west mining town and Spain were first to threaten with David Villa forcing a spectacular one-hand save from Itumeleng Khune.

South Africa crowd favourite Matthew Booth, whose every touch triggers chants of Booooooooth, let his 'fan club' down on 14 minutes after getting behind the Spanish defence.

Instead of heading to the right of goalkeeper Iker Casillas, the giant central defender could only nod the ball forward and harmlessly wide to the relief of the Euro 2008 champions.

A superb tackle from fullback Tsepo Masilela — a find of the two-week 2010 World Cup dress rehearsal — foiled Liverpool striker Fernando Torres midway through a cagey opening half.

Although South Africa lie 71 places below top ranked Spain they held their own before a crowd packed with vuvuzela-blowing spectators and when Casillas parried a Siphiwe Tshabalala drive, Booth fired the rebound wide.

Brazil-born Bafana coach Joel Santana is a hard man to satisfy and he arose from his touchline chair a couple of minutes before half-time and unleashed a verbal rant at his hard-working, organised team.

Spain midfielder Sergio Busquets was the only player cautioned in the first half and Everton star Steven Pienaar joined him in the notebook of Australian referee Matthew Breeze just after half-time.

Busquets had a goal correctly disallowed with three Spaniards offside and Khune did well to hold an Albert Riera shot as the visitors lifted their game and looked more likely to break the deadlock.

But it was South Africa who took the lead thanks to a brilliant off-the-ball run by Tshabalala, who latched on to a cross and pushed it across the goalmouth for Mphela to control before firing into the roof of the net.

It appeared enough to give South Africa victory until a remarkable end to regular time saw Spain score twice within 60 seconds through Guiza before Mphela levelled.

Guiza fired the ball through a forest of legs and past Khune into the corner for an 88th-minute equaliser and then saw his cross dip behind the goalkeeper into the net.

South Africa may have been stunned but their spirit remained strong and when awarded a free kick well outside the penalty area, Mphela stopped up and drove an unstoppable shot past Casillas.

Spain had a claim for handball inside the penalty area by Mhlongo late in the first period ignored before Alonso curled his free kick around the wall and over Fernando Llorente and Booth into the corner of the net for the winner
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Watched it .... a good game, and RSA held their own and in fact looked like the better team on numerous occasions. Had they won, I would have said it to have been a deserved victory.

Also watched the Brazil / USA game .... also very close but Brazil were definitely more cohesive and skilled. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Klonkies
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996-Hilux 2.4 D/C - 33 Kuhmo`s -rear difflock

Post by Klonkies »

i agree the on-field performance was excellent Bafana - but the vuvuzela`s gives me a bit of a head-ache after a while ....also, im told FIFA will look into the matter since many of the European viewers are also unhappy with it. With the vuvuzela being the "African" touch to the game, makes it difficult for FIFA to ban it, but lets see what they`ll do regarding..
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I think the idea of the vuvuzela was born out of the incessant noise made by taxi hooters!

You can't stop a taxi hooter and they probably won't be able to stop the vuvuzela!

Hang... it is unfortunately a horrible noise in my ipinion!

Imagine Ellis Park this Saturday with 20000 green noisy vuvuzela's... scary thought!

B
Klonkies
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1996-Hilux 2.4 D/C - 33 Kuhmo`s -rear difflock

Post by Klonkies »

Imagine Ellis Park this Saturday with 20000 green noisy vuvuzela's... scary thought!

20 000 is a bit optimistic dont you think? - or ok, this after FIFA gives away another few thousand tickets maybe?
What really saddend me was to see the Brazillian supporters doing their sing and dance - and even on that empty side of the stadium, all you can hear was "vuvuzelas"!!

oh well, best solution i can make is - put the TV on silent while the game is on, i see every one has a nice selection of music(from the Hilux top 10 list sent around last week), and play music while braai`n with friends.

Return to “Open Discussion”