Urgent Weather Warning!!!!!

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Urgent Weather Warning!!!!!

Post by Mud Dog »

To all concerned (Eastern Cape).

Disaster Management Services called all concerned services to an Emergency meeting regarding weather predictions for the Weekend.

1. Light rain is forecast as from today Wednesday over the entire Cacadu region which will further saturate the already saturated ground.

2. Minimum temperatures are to plummet to below freezing point inland as from Thursday evening and Heavy Snow Falls are expected with Road closures in all mountain passes in the region except for Olifantskop pass. Graaff Reinet to monitor the passes as from this evening Wednesday.

3. Heavy Rain (100%) is expected as from Thursday evening in Storms River area to reach Port Elizabeth by Friday Noon and spread further east as it progresses. An average of 100mm is expected from Friday Noon to Saturday evening throughout the region of Cacadu. Due to the already saturated groundwater flash flooding is expected in low laying areas. Roads are expected to be water logged and special care be given to fast lanes were vehicles could aquaplane.

4. All stations are to monitor all rural roads and report any problems to information centre and myself.

5. I will keep all Station Commanders and Managers informed via SMS as I will be receiving weather warnings from SA National Weather Services on any in incoming storm systems as they develop for Cacadu Region via SMS from SA Nat. Weather Services.

6. These Systems will also affect all outdoor activities in the region such as the Biltong Festival in Somerset East and the VW Algoa Rally being held in the Port Elizabeth, Uitenhage and surrounding areas.

Reason for this early warning from the SA National Weather Services the similarity between the 2 HIGH pressure systems south of the country and a developing LOW pressure system over the far Northern-Western interior which is very similar to the systems of the 1968 floods in Port Elizabeth and Surrounding areas.

Please be warned and take care we are there to service the public and look out for their Safety On All Our Roads.

Should you require any further information feel free to contact me on my cell number.

Yours in saving lives

Regards

J.L. Retief (Acting Control Provincial Inspector)

Principal Provincial Traffic Inspector

Kinkelbos

Port Elizabeth

Tel No: (+27) 0 41 403 4029/041 468 1927

Cell No: (+27) 0 83 283 9739/0 83 561 3546 Fax No: (+27) 0 86 629 7030
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Re: Urgent Weather Warning!!!!!

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Dit klink hectic, ek sou/of gaan Biltongfees toe......Slaap in bakkie. Lyk my ek moet my planne verander....

Dankie Oom Andy vir waarskuwing.
Sent from my iPhone
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I would rather play it safe .... it's always the other guys on the road that one has to watch out for ... the oke that's just driven all day from Poffader and is tired beyond tired behind the wheel ... the oke that had a few drinks with mates to celebrate something after work ... the person answering his / her cellphone and momentarily loosing contration ..... all this and many more compromised driving situations against a backdrop of poor visibitity and treacherously slippery road surfaces.

I'm staying put as far as possible. Was contemplating going up into the Hogsback but they've just had snow and expecting heavy snowfalls this weekend ...... not the best conditions and I've seen enough snow in my time, so that's been postponed.

;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

Sjoe klink rof, ek onthou hoe my pa my altyd vertel het van die PE vloed in 68" . Hy het in daai tyd in die area gebly.....
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hey Andy, looks like the worst of it is missing Cape Town this time, but the cold front has definitely started affecting our temps down here, it's flipping freezing outside this evening, and the wind is still pretty calm. Tomorrow we're expecting gale force winds of around 50km/h and a high of 12deg!

The SA weather website has a very good storm warning/tracking system, so you can visit http://www.weathersa.co.za to check what the weather's up to in your area... current warnings for the Western Cape:

Updated: 12/07/2012 15:31:48
Warning: Take action
Subject: Very rough seas, very cold, wet and windy, snowfalls, heavyfalls and gale force winds
Detail: Valid 12 to 14-07-2012:
Warning:
1. Very rough seas with wave heights in excess of 4m are expected on Thursday evening.
2. Very cold, wet and windy conditions are expected over the interior from Thursday evening, persisting until Sunday.
3. Snowfalls are expected over the central and eastern highground, from Friday persisting until Saturday. It will be heavy in places.
Watches:
1. Heavy falls of rain are expected in places over the southern parts on Friday.
2. Gale force south-easterly winds are expected between north of Lamberts Bay on Friday.

SA Weather has a blog as well with more details of the incoming extreme weather:

http://blog.africaweather.com/2012/07/e ... th-africa/

From the blog:
...snowfall will be widespread and can be expected in areas where it has not snowed in a long time or has not snowed at all.
Brrrrrrr!!!!

Keep warm guys!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

We've had a pretty chilly week already .... nights, mostly. Tonight is not too bad yet but last night was a bugger! Will see what the dawn brings us. ;-)

Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Lets see if this warning brings something.
The others they have issued this winter has been very disappointing in GP.

Know what you don't know.
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Post by Doctor V »

I think other provinces should implement the "we'll confiscate your cellphone if we see you use it while driving" law. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: See in this mornings' paper that blue tooth devices are flying off the shelves!!!

Mr B, it's def cool this morning albeit 7. Last week the lowest was 3degrees (I have a few electronic devices outside). But must say, travelling to Natal every 2-3 weeks and so far I've had an awesome Winter there :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Sat at the Pub in Ballito on Tuesday evening wearing shorts and a T!!!
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Well so far it's been a sunny morning in CT... but the wind is as cold as ice! Makes me think of another hit from a favourite bad...

Foreigner... Cold as ice...

Return to “Open Discussion”