Vibration when hubs are locked

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

Vibration when hubs are locked

Post by Sven »

Just wan ask before i decide to climb under the car, The SFA feels perfectly smooth when in 2WD, but as soon as i lock the hubs or engage 4x4 i pick
up a pretty rough vibration, could it be the front prop shaft spider bearings (my Guess), or the swivel hub bearing adjustment?
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Re: Vibration when hubs are locked

Post by WayneSchalk »

Sven wrote:Just wan ask before i decide to climb under the car, The SFA feels perfectly smooth when in 2WD, but as soon as i lock the hubs or engage 4x4 i pick
up a pretty rough vibration, could it be the front prop shaft spider bearings (my Guess), or the swivel hub bearing adjustment?
Put the van in 4H without locking the hubs and see if you get the same result. that way you can narrow it down to the prop or not
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

WayneSchalk wrote:
Sven wrote:Just wan ask before i decide to climb under the car, The SFA feels perfectly smooth when in 2WD, but as soon as i lock the hubs or engage 4x4 i pick
Put the van in 4H without locking the hubs and see if you get the same result. that way you can narrow it down to the prop or not
Agreed :thumbup:

Could be bent front shafts as well... this you should be able to pick up if you engage the hubs but leave it in 2WD... only try this once you have done the test above because the front propshaft will also turn when you do this
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Whether you engage the hubs and not the X-fer box or vice-versa, the half-shafts and the prop will still rotate as the vehicle moves. It serves to eliminate nothing. :( Chances are 10 to 1 that you have an unbalanced / bent front prop or the slip joint is worn or worn universal/s. Slightly lesser likelihoods are that the pinion bearing or x-fer box output shaft bearing are worn, least likely is that it's a diff or half-shaft problem. Start with the prop, have it balanced (and refurbished if necessary). ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Mud Dog wrote:Whether you engage the hubs and not the X-fer box or vice-versa, the half-shafts and the prop will still rotate as the vehicle moves. It serves to eliminate nothing. :( Chances are 10 to 1 that you have an unbalanced / bent front prop or the slip joint is worn or worn universal/s. Slightly lesser likelihoods are that the pinion bearing or x-fer box output shaft bearing are worn, least likely is that it's a diff or half-shaft problem. Start with the prop, have it balanced (and refurbished if necessary). ;-)
Agree.. The whole drive-train will turn, no matter which side it is "driven" from...

Unless the vibration is really severe and occurs at low speeds I would not really worry about it. On all my SFA Hiluxes (3 of them) I had that same vibration, it came along at about 90km/h and was not severe enough to shake the fillings out of my teeth, but only enough to be annoying.

Have it checked out if it really bothers you.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

Post by Sven »

thanks guys for the advice, will post what the final outcome is.
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Front prop not balanced, check the splines on the Yoke too.

Even so after this is done you will still get the vibration at 90km/h still after the prop is done.

Return to “The Workshop”