KZTE Gearbox on 5vzfe

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

KZTE Gearbox on 5vzfe

Post by Baasvark »

Ok Guys - so I did a total recon on my 5vzfe (including LOTS of school fees! :laugh2: )

I also decided to replace the old 22R gearbox with a KZTE gearbox. I kept the standard diff in. I also had the Dictator re-mapped.

This is what I have found:
1. My truck is certainly a lot less "nippy" than before. Would this be due to the kzte having larger gears thus a diffferent gear ratio?
2. @ 120km/h my rev counter sits @ 3400rpm, pretty much the same as with the 22R gearbox (kinda blows my larger gear theory out of the window!)
3. The speedo is out by about 30km/h @ a speed of 120km/h. Is there any way to correct this?
4. Top speed before was around 160km/h. Now would probably be 140 (haven't pushed it that hard yet).
5. Would you expect any changes in fuel consumption?

The upside is that my first gear in low range is a lot slower that before. With the 22R gearbox I found that, going down a steep decline, I would have to sit on the brakes as the vehicle tended to "run away" with me. Now I hardly have to touch the brakes. I kind of prefer it that way. It's nearly as if the engine is actually "braking" my lux. Just have to get to know it all over again.

Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated.
Last edited by Baasvark on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Baasvark

Re: KZTE Gerabox on 5vzfe questions

Post by Baasvark »

By the way - judging by my heading it also appears that I may be dyslexic :)
Baasvark

Re: KZTE Gearbox on 5vzfe

Post by Baasvark »

Thanks guys for all the positive feed back and input :lol:

I thought there would be at least 1 person who would venture a theory or solution :twisted:

Guess I'll just have to wait and see .....
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

You'll probably find that the gearing for the speedo, which comes from the gearbox is set up for a diesel which probably explains why it's that much out. Just guessing here.

You might have to look at doing the diff ratios to get that 'nippyness' back. Are you still running those 33's?
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Baasvark

Post by Baasvark »

Hi Steve,
Glad to hear from you :)
Yes I'm still running the 33's. Not looking at changing that for now.
The nippiness doesn't really bother me that much as it's not meant for speed anyway.
I'm looking at changing the gear that drives the speedo in the hopes that it will be a little more accurate.
Other than that I'm fairly chuffed!
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Citrusdal
Vehicle: 84 SFA Hilux

Post by IndianaJones7746 »

AFAIK

22R gear ratios are 1st 3.929:1, 2nd 2.333:1, 3rd 1.452:1, 4th 1.000:1, 5th 0.851:1 (2,277:1 Low Range transfer)

KZTE gear ratios are 1st 4.31:1, 2nd 2.33:1, 3rd 1.44:1, 4th 1.00:1, 5th 0.84:1 (2.295:1 Low Range transfer)

2nd, 3rd, and 4th is almost the same as the old box

1st gear is a little lower than what you are used to, which in conjunction with the power of the 5VZ, may mean that you prefer to stay in 2nd, rather than drop to 1st, which would account for a little lost "nippiness".

However I think feeling less "nippiness" might be more as a result of your engine rebuilt, engine might still be a little tight.

The KZTE box was used with a 3.73 ratio diff, the 22R diff is 4,875:1 ratio, on top of that the tyre sizes differ, so it's not unusual that the speedo will be out.

There should be guys that can work out, and supply the correct speedo drive gear.

I wouldn't expect any changes in fuel consumption as a result of the gearbox swop, more likely is a change in fuel consumption as a result of the engine rebuilt.

However for constant speed fuel consumption, if my reasoning is correct, with a slightly taller overdrive you will use a few less revs to attain 120km/h in 5th.

Just my 2c
Bijl
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: `87 dc 4x4 Hilux (import)

Post by Bijl »

Hi Shane,

I`m also running the kzte box in the SFA. I can`t tell you my speedo reading because my speedo is not connected. How did you connect the kzte box to the mechanical speedo? I know there are kzte boxes that use the mechanical pickups but Toyota denies is and only want to sell me the electronic pickup.

At 3000 rpm I`m doing about 100km/h with std diffs and 30' tyres.
Baasvark

Post by Baasvark »

Hi Guys,

I somehow missed your posts :slap:

@ Ben, thanks for all the info. Helps a lot!

@ Bijl, I just screwed in the speedo and all worked fine. I see you're from bloem. Contact Louis @ Truck & Transmission in welkom - he may be able to help.

Don't know if this helps?

Shane

Return to “The Workshop”