what is an economically viable bakkie

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu

what is an economically viable bakkie

Post by Hunter26 »

Hi All,newbie here.

At the moment I am driving an Isuzu 250D 2003 4x2 donkey. I want to upgrade in the future to a 4x4. Sorry if this has been asked before. But these are my requirements :

1) double cab diesel
2) fuel economy is 10 - 12km per litre
3) cheap parts and easily available ( my injectors cost R2k per set, new Isuzu costs R 8k each )
4) bullet proof engine
5) non electrified computorised engine ie with new vehicles if a dog pees on wheel engine cuts out :D: )

My budged if I speak to the bank manager could hit R80k plus if I sell my bakkie It could cut my payments down on my future 4x4. I only know Isuzu so I am a virgin to other brands. I have been told to buy Land Rover,colt,pajero etc. Reliability and economy plays a part as I use the vehicle for work and pvt and only get given a set amount for travel allowance. ie only paid at AA rates for a 1000km per month.

Please put your heads together as I am tired of being that person that has to sit on the side line watching everyone playing on 4x4 grounds. :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :boredom: :boredom:

Thanks
Regards
Craig
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4 SFA

Re: what is an economically viable bakkie

Post by Wurmscooby »

its simple.buy a hilux. :thumbup:
ôita
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Piet Retief
Vehicle: 1994 Toyota Hilux D/cab 4x4 SFA, 3RZ conversion,TrailGear Duel Transfercase with 4.7gear,Front & Rear Difflocks,2" Lift,OME & Mikem Suspention,Snorkel,L/R fuel tank, 32" M/T tyres, my son in the passenger seat

Post by ôita »

For a bit over R100k you could get a nice and very capable Hilux 3.0 D4D. Sometimes not a 4x4 (depends on price) but with difflock it would be a very good start and will meet all criteria except maybe the 4x4. You could also look for a older shape 3.0 KZTE 4x4 but I think the kilos would be too high on most of them.... I only know Toyotas and trust them the most so sorry for excluding all other brands.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Stronger than a New Zealand Kauri tree and, as we found out, virtually indestructible, the Hilux is an unapologetically manly car." - Top Gear Verdict
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Older Mazda 2.5 diesels (WL).
Good motors, fairly comfy, amd 4x4 capability is good if you are not into major hardcore stuff.
Hiluxes of the same era wil cost you 30% more.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Craig you DO know this is NOT the "Hilux club" ? :shock2: :mocking:

THIS here is the SFA-CLUB !! :lmao: :tease:

blerrie klomp out toppies ry nog steeds met n ossewa met n breek-en-staan motor op die agter as ..... :siffler: :surrender:

Not an easy budget bracket. The odd good deal out there, and just so many more chancers out there !! (in ALL brands)

What do you want to use the vehicle for ?

do you need a bakkie?
do you need a double cab?
do you need diesel ? (are you going to do enough kilos to offset the maintenance vs the maintenance of diesel vs petrol)
Last edited by ChrisF on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Look for an old Hilux SFA 2.8 diesel ... almost impossible to kill (ask Jeremy Clarkson or any other SFA owner) - just try to get something without body rust. You should be able to pick one up in fairly decent nick with your budget. If you can't get a diesel and it's important enough to you, have a WL 2.5 diesel motor fitted. You will then have one of the most capable and reliable off-road vehicles this earth has ever seen, and parts for both the old SFA and the WL motor are still readily available and cheaper than dirt. Fuel consumption will also not be too bad either. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Craig what you describe there is a 2.5td Ford Ranger/Mazda Drifter from the early 2000's... They go for less that R80K, have indestructable engines, pre-electronic, and give serious ride comfort... :thumbup: :thumbup: Had one, bought it with 230 000 on the clock, drove it for 2 1/2 years and sold it with about 350 000 on the clock, and it was still going strong..

The 2.8 diesel Hilux is a donkey.. you'll be lucky if you can get a speed fine in a 60 zone with it... :twisted: :twisted: Hey, I had one of those too!! Loved it, but it is not for the faint hearted.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:Craig what you describe there is a 2.5td Ford Ranger/Mazda Drifter from the early 2000's... They go for less that R80K, have indestructable engines, pre-electronic, and give serious ride comfort... :thumbup: :thumbup: Had one, bought it with 230 000 on the clock, drove it for 2 1/2 years and sold it with about 350 000 on the clock, and it was still going strong..

The 2.8 diesel Hilux is a donkey.. you'll be lucky if you can get a speed fine in a 60 zone with it... :twisted: :twisted: Hey, I had one of those too!! Loved it, but it is not for the faint hearted.. :twisted: :twisted:
now if he answers my questions .... I am thinking of something else that also goes in that price range, and has a detachable bar in the front ..... :cooldude: :mocking:
Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu

Post by Hunter26 »

ChrisF wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:Craig what you describe there is a 2.5td Ford Ranger/Mazda Drifter from the early 2000's... They go for less that R80K, have indestructable engines, pre-electronic, and give serious ride comfort... :thumbup: :thumbup: Had one, bought it with 230 000 on the clock, drove it for 2 1/2 years and sold it with about 350 000 on the clock, and it was still going strong..

now if he answers my questions .... I am thinking of something else that also goes in that price range, and has a detachable bar in the front ..... :cooldude: :mocking:
Chris are you hinting at a Land Rover :shifty: :shifty:
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Hunter26 wrote:
ChrisF wrote:

Chris are you hinting at a Land Rover :shifty: :shifty:
NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (spent way too much time helping my neighbour keeping his balsted Range Rover on the road..)

if you only need a 4x4, not a bakkie, and only 2 doors ..... look at Thys's signature ....
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Chris if you can get a Wrangler in that price bracket that runs, buy it... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: They are few and far between..
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Jaans
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2005 4L V6 DC Hilux; Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 M/T

Post by Jaans »

My recommendations will be either a
2.4D Hilux SFA. slow but unstoppable.
2,8D Hilux SFA faster than the 2.4D but not as bullet proof.
2.8D Isuzu. Less capable off road than the SFA but better fuel consumption, and enough power for high way driving.
2.5D Masda or Ford. As capable off road as the Isuzu. I think fuel consumption is between the 2.4D and the 2.8D.

All the best with your decision.
1 Kor 1:18 " Die boodskap van die kruis van Christus is wel onsin vir die wat verlore gaan, maar vir ons wat gered word, is dit die krag van God."
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Beg, borrow or steal a few bucks and buy a 2.5d4d, you get them from about R130k, relible and economical and much more power than your 250d.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ôita
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Piet Retief
Vehicle: 1994 Toyota Hilux D/cab 4x4 SFA, 3RZ conversion,TrailGear Duel Transfercase with 4.7gear,Front & Rear Difflocks,2" Lift,OME & Mikem Suspention,Snorkel,L/R fuel tank, 32" M/T tyres, my son in the passenger seat

Post by ôita »

Hoppy wrote:Beg, borrow or steal a few bucks and buy a 2.5d4d, you get them from about R130k, relible and economical and much more power than your 250d.
I second that :goodjob:
"Stronger than a New Zealand Kauri tree and, as we found out, virtually indestructible, the Hilux is an unapologetically manly car." - Top Gear Verdict
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

some time ago i was looking at the numbers as well...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colt still seemed to be best value for money.

I'm on gumtree almost everyday... R80K will get you very decent 2000 - 2004 colt, or not so decent hilux 2.7 +-2000, or very decent SFA (with some extras)

KZTE mostly over R100K. 2.5d4d was option i liked... towing capacity had me worried though.

colt 2.8 torque figures about 290nm.
kzte about 340nm (bit out of the price range - may find decent one if you lucky)
2.7 hilux about 235nm
2.2 sfa was about 180nm if i remember correctly.
2.5 hilux about 260nm. (out of the price range)
isuzu 2.8 about 230nm

based on these figures for the price range best value for money is still the colt IMHO.
only problem... resale value. toyota has never let me down. I have already sold my vehicles for more than what i bought it for two years later. not sure colt can give me that bonus.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Craig I suggest you take the trouble to visit as many used car dealers in East London and surrounds to sus what is available and for what prices they're selling for.
After selling my 2,8d dc hilux 4x4,I searched in earnest for a suitable 4x4 .The problem of finding the correct 4x4 was compounded by the fact that I only wanted a single cab hilux 4x4 d4d.
After much frustration,I finally found the right vehicle.
rechardt
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by rechardt »

Hunter joined this group about two weeks ago for a reason.The fact he has posted here on the Hilux forum means. ...he wants a Hilux. .he wants to hear that he should buy a Hilux. .he already has made up his mind that he wants a Hilux....He just wants to be psychological reassured about the Hilux. . An Isuzu or Ford or Jeep was not even his choice...
Using Tapatalk
Masekind
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 v6, LR tank, ARB Bumper. (iJzer)

Post by Masekind »

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
If you don’t build your dreams someone else will hire you to build there’s
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Citrusdal
Vehicle: 84 SFA Hilux

Post by IndianaJones7746 »

Hunter26 wrote: 2) fuel economy is 10 - 12km per litre
Not that easy.
Of the "non electrified computorised engine"d vehicles, only the 2.8 and first gen 3.0 Isuzu's has a shot at giving you that consumption figure.
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Oupa Stig wrote:Older Mazda 2.5 diesels (WL).
Good motors, fairly comfy, amd 4x4 capability is good if you are not into major hardcore stuff.
Hiluxes of the same era wil cost you 30% more.
Isnt the Ford and Mazda sharing the same engine?
Sent from my iPhone

Return to “Open Discussion”