Rear suspension upgrade for 2001 IFS D/Cab

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dust-devil
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Gaborone
Vehicle: 2001 KZ-TE 4x4 DC

Rear suspension upgrade for 2001 IFS D/Cab

Post by dust-devil »

I have just completed a 2-week trip to the Kaokoland with my trusty KZTE. I usually pull a trailer, but this time on account of the expected road conditions I left it behind and loaded up everything into/onto the vehicle. Not sure of total weight, but load included: long range tank, +/-80 litres of water, dual battery system, Onca rear bumper with double wheel carrier, NL 50 litre fridge, Font Runner drawer system, tent, gas bottle, spares, high-lift jack, firewood, miscellaneous camping kit etc, and food for two weeks. Oh yes, beer as well! All went very well, but the vehicle sagged noticeably at the back.
I have the Iron Man springs and shocks fitted, but obviously it still needs to be beefed up a bit more. What experience to fellow Hilux owners have with Loadhogs or similar "helper" products?
Most grateful for any advice.
A bad day in the bush is better than a good day at the office.
Triton 3.2 4x4 D/C A/T
2001 KZ-TE D/Cab. SAC Intercooler & chip. Nudge-M. Iron Man Suspension. Long range tank. Dual Battery. 29mHz. BFG A/T. etc (Reluctantly left behind when I left Botswana).
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Rear suspension upgrade for 2001 IFS D/Cab

Post by Mud Dog »

Hello Russel, and welcome! :thumbup:

I cannot give you first hand experience advice since I've never made use of such accessories .... only what I have been led to believe. Most of these products do what they are intended for to some varying degrees, but I believe the general consensus to be that they hinder or impair off-road capability. This is however not a major consideration for over-landing trips such as what you've just mentioned ... I mean you're not necessarily going to tackle a lot of obstacles. I would then consider something that is easily removable after a trip, like for example the Camil coil over shocks ... (don't really like their products personally). They can be quite easily replaced with the standard shocks after a trip .... 4 bolts only. Alternatively the 'LoadHogs' or whatever your preference. IMO these are still better options than fitting extra blades to the leaf packs which would result in a hard ride when not loaded.

Best of luck with your choice. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

I had a set fitted for that very reason, to carry the extra kg's and to date I had no problems not on tar or on gravel. Done the West coast echo route and carried kit for 7 days very little to no sagging. What I like about it is that should you do obstacles you can remove it in a few min.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
IMG_5147 (Large).JPG
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Niel, I don't see a reference in that thread as to what suspension aide you fitted? :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

I have the Iron Man springs and shocks fitted
Russel, do you know which Iron Man 'packs' you have fitted, there are three different types?
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

dust-devil wrote:What experience to fellow Hilux owners have with Loadhogs or similar "helper" products
Mud Dog wrote:Niel, I don't see a reference in that thread as to what suspension aide you fitted?
Load Hogs :D:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OK Russel, ... there you go! Niel likes RoadHogs :D: ... has tried them and is satisfied with their performance. Also easily removed when not required. :wink:

dust-devil
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Gaborone
Vehicle: 2001 KZ-TE 4x4 DC

Post by dust-devil »

OOOOMS wrote:
I have the Iron Man springs and shocks fitted
Russel, do you know which Iron Man 'packs' you have fitted, there are three different types?
[/i]

AFAICR its the Sport (?) kit (not the Load Carrying kit).
A bad day in the bush is better than a good day at the office.
Triton 3.2 4x4 D/C A/T
2001 KZ-TE D/Cab. SAC Intercooler & chip. Nudge-M. Iron Man Suspension. Long range tank. Dual Battery. 29mHz. BFG A/T. etc (Reluctantly left behind when I left Botswana).
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Then you will have to fit 'heavy duty' blades, as adding extra leaf pac's will only be a temporary sollution.

The 'medium' blades are not designed to carry heavy load and you run the risk of breaking.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

This is interesting reading, that you can remove Load Hogs as needed does have it's advantages.

That might be something to consider when bringing back loads of meat from a hunting trip.

Know what you don't know.
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux

Post by michael01 »

Why don't you try a set of air bags at the back? Lots of people like them even soften the ride for you and doesn't really affect off road proformance. Just my 2cw
ImageImageImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Yes for sure Heinrich, also had a good look at em some time ago. Not to run down any previous comments down as I do believe they can work.

But like any equipment, if abused they do break. In fact, the day I was at the fitment centre a vehicle came in with one broken. Not sure if it was abuse or not.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

The biggest reason I've never considered them seriously has been because of the very harsh ride they can give when not loaded as well as the loss in articulation which you do get without a doubt.

Michael, airbags will be my first choice, but cost if kind of constricting on them.

Know what you don't know.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

michael01 wrote:Why don't you try a set of air bags at the back? Lots of people like them even soften the ride for you and doesn't really affect off road proformance. Just my 2cw
Air helpers have there advantages and disadvantages.

Firstly the cost around R4.5k (leaf springs) coils are cheaper R2.5k
Load-hog around R1200 last time I heard

Air helpers do not 'give' when driving through ie axle twisters. You also stand at rist when driving at parculiar angles 30 to 40 deg of rolling the vehicle.

For towing and load the air helpers are fine and convenient :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”